• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV winches on wheeled house??

leroy77

I am just wondering if anyone has tried atv winches on their wheeled house to raise and lower them.I was thinking about trying it but thought it would be better to ask around to see if anyone has tried this before.

I am sure in theory they would work great, I know they are not as narrow as a manual crank version.

This may cause some concerns when mounting.

You still want to “pin it” mechanically in the up position.

What did you have in mind, Would you put three separate winches on the frame?

Aren't most ATV winches power in, free spool out? If so, probably not the best idea grin

You're talking about a wheeled house, so chances are you're not going to leave it on a lake unattended for long, right? Theft issue can be resolved by either going with theft proof fasteners, or weld the nuts to the bolts. You can always cut them off if the winch needs to be replaced.

Aren't most ATV winches power in, free spool out? If so, probably not the best idea grin

You're talking about a wheeled house, so chances are you're not going to leave it on a lake unattended for long, right? Theft issue can be resolved by either going with theft proof fasteners, or weld the nuts to the bolts. You can always cut them off if the winch needs to be replaced.

I have a Warren winch on my wheeler, and it is power both ways. You can make it freewheel, but there can't be any tension on the cable at the time.

I think there are electric winches out there designed for just that. I've seen old guys at the boat landing with electric winches to winch their boats on the trailer. I don't see why you couldn't use one of those.

thanks for the input guys i think i'm going to give it a try so my dad can use the house thats one of the main reasons i wanted to know if anyone has tried it before. the winches i am looking at are power in/out so that shouldn't be a problem

There is another thing you could use. the electric camper jacks that are on the front of campers. Depending on the weight there are 2 different gear ratiols for how fast they would lift. If you are putting them on a house thats built it may be a little work, but it could be done. I know of 3 houses that use the jacks and they all work fine. One house is 26' long.

I have a winch on my 4 wheeler and it drains the battery pretty fast if you use it alot at one time.Maybe somebody else can comment on that also or else I have a bad battery.

Wheeler batteries are very small compared to a deep cycle. It would be safe to assume that deep cycle is the batteries that would be used. There would be plenty of capacity in them to work the winches.