• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

broadhead for me?

FLnick87

Im a small guy at 5'4" and only shoot 50lbs...I shoot carbon express 200 and am wondering what heads would give me the best penetration and entrance hole. been using magnus 2 blade stingers but have not been impressed with the blood trails, even though my shot placement has been marginal

If you're looking for a mechinal broadhead that leaves Huge holes and a blood trail like no other, check out the Rage 3 blade broadheads. The 3 other guys that archery hunt with me all use them. I'm amazed every year at the exit hole size and the easy to track blood trails.

In regards to fixed broadheads, I have had great luck with Muzzy 3 blade heads.

I'm slowly switching over to the Rage heads after shooting Muzzy heads for many years as the exit hole is larger and the blod trail is much heavier.

I'm thinking since you're only shooting 50 lbs that it might be best to stay away from mechanicals. They typically require a fair amout of force to open properly.

Your best bet may be the two blade stingers you've been shooting, or some other smaller two blade cut-on-contact fixed blade design. These are generally thought to have the best penetration for lower poundage bows.

Good luck.

I would think that with the popularity og the rage heads and the new 40KE 2blade you should be able to shoot those. I used the rage 2 blade last year and it more than did the job for me.

I've also had great luck the the G5 Strikers. The are a cut on contact head. Very sharp, flies great, cheap and the blades are replaceable.

The best way to get better blood trails is pass-throughs and proper shot placement. If you're making marginal hits, there is no broadhead that will make a poor shot bleed better. Pick a quality head and practice with it as much as possible.

It kind of depends on the range you shoot. It's really hard to say.

If you get a chance you should shoot through a chronograph and see what kind of speed you are getting. From there you can weigh your arrows and figure out what kind of KE you're getting. That will at least give you a good starting point for making your choice.

Pass throughs aren't as important as shot placement. It is nice for tracking purposes though as there will be blood coming out both sides. However, the Rage will put one hell of a hole in a deer. Powerstroke likes the Rage, as do a lot of guys on here, and many of them get pass throughs.

I guess I would figure out what kind of KE you are getting and then decide. IMO you would have an easier time with a pass through if you shoot a two blade.

So basically. I DON'T KNOW! smile Shoot whatever you're comfortable with and whatever shoots well for you. Let us know what you decide. Good Luck!

I shoot 70# and cant get a pass thru with the 2-blade rage. I thought that rage was the stuff dreams were made of boy was I mistaken not only do they not pass thru there notorious for being dull even when fresh out of the pack and god forbid you catch any type of bone.. sorry folks they are junk. stick to a broadhead that has a chisel point you will be much happier in the long run..

Flnick, have you looked at how sharp those magnus heads are out of the box I bought a dozen for my recurve and the first thing I did was put them to the diamond hone because they were so dull I will not sugest a retractable broadhead for anyone but shoot what you like and works for you. I love the slick trick magnums and they have a new one out called the griz trick that I will be trying out big holes and great blood trail,and guess what I know the blades will allways be open because they are a fixed blade. Carbon express also has a great little head out this year that is close to a stinger and is very durable and strong head. But like everyone else has said it don't matter if you hit them with a ax or a field point shot placement is the key.

I'll agree with Powerstroke on the G5 Strikers. Extremely sharp out of the box and rock solid overall. I don't shoot high poundage either (60lbs) and these pass right through and bury into what evers on the other side. I would stick with a good fixed head either way...

When my kids started bowhunting they were only pulling 40 pounds with a 30 inch 2013 aluminum tipped with a 100 grain thunderhead out of a bow that only shot about 230 feet per second....And every shot they connected on was a pass through...(they each took about 3 deer with that bow)...I currently shoot 65 pounds with a 31 inch 2219 aluminum tipped with a 100 grain spitfire expandable...this set-up only chonographs about 230 fps out of my bow and in the past 6 years every shot on bear and deer have been complete pass throughs...sounds to me like you may have other arrow flight problems or you need to practice alot more...tune your arrows and broadheads and practice, practice, practice...if you can't hit a softball everytime at a given distance on a practice range, you have no business shooting that far in the field.

G5 montec or striker are great heads. I'd trust them out of a 50# bow. If your shot placement has been "marginal" that's where I would focus before changing my broadhead. The magnus is a great broadhead without a doubt. No problem with bustin through a rib....but a shoulder????? My advice is to hang a stand and shoot at targets from different distances until you"re dialed in. May need to invest in a range finder if your confidence isn't too high on judging distances. Good Luck this season!!!!

more of the marginal has came from bad luck and not being patient waiting for quartering away shots, and struggling keeping the nerves down. and by that I don't mean i have been shooting them in the hind quarter either. Last year as i was shooting the deer moved its front leg back a step and i hit her in the shoulder blade, I had another duck the arrow at 25 yards that I hit high a few years back, and another I shot at about 5 yards clean pass through quartering away with the bloodiest arrow i have ever seen but with no blood trail after 50 yards. Just thought the deer were bleeding more internally with the slit that the two bladers cut and maybe it is clotting up faster than others would. and I do have a range finder that i always use. Maybe just gotta practice some shots with the heart pumping!

I just bought a package of rage 2 blade broadheads. I have done some research and they sound like they are a great broadhead. I did hear from two people (sales guys at two different stores) that they have heard of deployment issues with the 2 blade on slower speed bows. The 3 blade 1.5" supposedly is the better Rage broadhead for your set up if you choose the rage broadhead. These are the first mechanicals I have ever bought, hope they are as good as I have heard they are. If at all interested check out the youtube video, it is unbelievable what these things can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoqGd7aBoAo

Rage made a new broad head that is designed to open better will smaller poundage bows. They are called the 40KE. They come in 2 or 3 blade but 2 blade will give you better penetration. I've been using the reg. Rage for 2 years and have shot 3 deer with them. They are the best broadhead I've ever used. Good Luck

I shoot the Rage 2 blade, really like the flight and the damage path is unbelievable, I have only shot 1 deer with it, but the wound was massive.

My wife is starting this year with a pretty low poundage bow, lots less than what you are shooting and we decided to stay away from the mechanicals for now or we would have went with the new smaller 2 blade Rage's.

We decided to keep it simple and went with the Muzzy 3 blade, I use to shoot Muzzy years ago when I bow hunted before a lond absent from the sport.

They have withstood the test of time and are a great blade, I feel with the lesser poundage you do not want to take away any kinetic energy from the arrow flight(possble with mechanicals) to help improve deeper penetration into the animal.

Just my $0.02.

Mark

I'm thinking since you're only shooting 50 lbs that it might be best to stay away from mechanicals. They typically require a fair amout of force to open properly.

Your best bet may be the two blade stingers you've been shooting, or some other smaller two blade cut-on-contact fixed blade design. These are generally thought to have the best penetration for lower poundage bows.

Good luck.

Yepper I gotta agree. The Magnus stinger should be perfect. Try the 4 blade maybe.