• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small Munsterlander or French Brittany

sparetime

I have been agonizing over which breed to get next to replace my lab. I have decided I want to try a pointer, and more specifically a French Brittany or Small Munsterlander. My wife is getting so sick of my indecision... The breeders have been very understanding. I only get one shot to get it right, and its a 12-14 year commitment. Geez, so much pressure.

Does anyone have any input on the two breeds. I have gotten a lot of great information from everyone I've talked to, everyone has their favorites of course, and I understand that completely. How about some more input, when faced with difficult decisions, ask for more data right?

Have a great day, Thanks

I have a French Brittany and love it!!! Mine is a great dog in the house and yet is full of energy outside. I got mine this spring and will be sending him to the trainer this weekend for bird and gun training. My pup is very smart and the family loves him alot. My wife wanted a dog that would be small enough to be a lap dog and I wanted a good hunter. We have both with the French Brittany. The nice thing about the FB is that they are a little smaller than the American Brittanys and that was a big seller for the wife.

A Small Munsterlander is a calm, dedicated hunter and family dog. Tough to beat in the field, and the typically calm disposition is simply amazing. I'm a lab man, and would consider one in an instant next time around. Very pleasant dogs, respond well to training, fairly unique breed that is gaining in popularity.

I decided on a Brittany and wouldn't have it any other way if I was to do it again. While they are quite different from a lab, don't let the "hyperactive" stereotype scare you that you'll get from a lot of people. Give that dog some excercise and he'll be a fine little lap dog as well as the ground-covering dog you want in the field. P.S. - it would be my advice to give Kentucky Ike a call, I have only heard absolutely awesome things about his Brittanies and know quite a few guys from the forum run his dogs.