• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boarding?

deerminator

How many of you guys have to board your dogs eventually? We took our dog to the Vet for the first time and they have a boarding place. Nothing really wrong with it, just cramped kennels, dogs barking nonstop and no outside run. They have people walk the dogs a few times a dayvbut not sure I would board by dog there. What do you look for in a good boarding kennel?

Whenever I have selected a kennel, one of the first things that I ask is if I can stop by and check it out. If they hesitate or don't want you to come out till a different day, I pass. The ones that I have used in the past and currently use now have all said I could drop by at anytime and look. Which is nice, because you know that they aren't just cleaning it up for you to see. I always ask how long they have been doing this and what they require from me. (if they aren't asking for vacinations, never now what they are boarding). They I just generally look around to see how the dogs are reacting. My old dog would not eat if she didn't like the place. (I always bring my own food.) I am fortunate that I have a nice kennel by me that has large runs (indoor/outdoor). They are very flexible with me and are VERY NICE People. Have been going there for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

I like too see a clean kennel. There should an exercise area. Some places have smaller exersise areas and some have bigger areas, you will probabaly have too pay more for the ones with large exercise areas. The good kennels should ask if your dog have all the shots. My dog will generally eat anything, but if they like a certain brand you might want to supply that if the kennel doesnt have it.. Also dont let them talk you into paying ahead of time, if something comes up you dont like they have the money

I take mine to a kennal that is also a training facility. It cost $18.00 to board or $22.00 to train. For 4 extra I train. Very nice people, knows dogs, and has a very large area for the dogs. The kennal has runs outside and the dogs can go in or out anytime they want when it's nice outside plus they take them on a long walk at least 3 times per day, sit stay come command refreshers

Like machohorn, I prefer to drop my dog off at a place that also trains. I like to use the place I brought my dog, Cannon River Kennels. They charge $16/night and are very happy to work on training or shoot birds over your dog for additional fee. I'm planning on dropping him off for a week in early October and J.J. says he's develop a mini-training session for him to tune him up for the coming pheasant season. Even doing that it's still cheaper than that going to one of those foo-foo places around here.

Now there's a kennel very close to here that's very well known, does training, and is about $20/night. I needed 3 nights kenneling and didn't want to drive to Randolph to CRK, so I went to this closer place instead. Big disappointment. Kennels were dirty, they acted like I was bothering them, and they didn't require any proof of vaccinations. I won't be going back.

You could easily spend $40 a night and get a place where the dog gets to sleep on a real bed, with a blanket, and have a fake fire hydrant to wizz on. I find it amazing how much some folks will pamper their dog. I love my dog but he IS a dog and will be treated accordingly. 5' x 10' cages are just fine for him. He doesn't need a "special treat" at night, he doesn't need to have doggy shows on the TV, and I sure don't want him learning to sleep on furniture.

Hi Lenny7,

Dropped Molly off today for 4-6 weeks of training. Tried a different place. Left CRK 4 or 5 emails and they never got back to me. I'm fairly sure they didn't get them, they have responded promptly before. Anyway, I met this trainer approx 15 years ago when he worked out of Traxlers. He's a great guy, knows his stuff and treated us very well when he was at Traxlers. I felt guilty not using him before, so, I dropped her off tonight at his facility south of St Peter.

Hi Lenny7,

Dropped Molly off today for 4-6 weeks of training. Tried a different place. Left CRK 4 or 5 emails and they never got back to me. I'm fairly sure they didn't get them, they have responded promptly before. Anyway, I met this trainer approx 15 years ago when he worked out of Traxlers. He's a great guy, knows his stuff and treated us very well when he was at Traxlers. I felt guilty not using him before, so, I dropped her off tonight at his facility south of St Peter.

Yeah, the contact page on CRK's HSOforum is pretty well worthless. If they're not going to respond to contacts through that page, they shouldn't have it up.

I'm glad you found someone you're comfortable with! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Pat,

The weather isn't looking real great for training-at least for the next few day's. Also, she's getting close to her first heat cycle, that could send her home early. Hope you and Kody are doing good!