• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

large shorthead?

got this redhorse on the sauk today. not sure what kind. it swallowed my hook, and it was bleeding pretty heavily, (so i kept it. gonna have some smoked fish in a few days)

im thinking its a large shorthead... it had a concave dorsal fin, red tail, and a small head. the size of the head is really making me lean toward shorthead....

aaron where are you!?

101_1140.jpg

for reference, the rod handle is about 12-14" long. i will get exact measurements the next time we go fishing (likely wednesday)

yes a shorthead

20 inches is a mark to shoot for on the shorties.

Here is my Sucker recipe

Quote:
Start out with 1-3 pound Suckers

Fillet and cut into 3 inch wide strips

Soak in Brine for 8+ hours in fridge

BRINE

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup sugar

1 quart water

Smoke with fresh apple wood still green

2 hours @ 200 degrees

Enjoy and be surprised.

They are quite tasty just lots of bones. I smoked about 30 pounds of redhorse this spring and it did not last long.

yes a shorthead

20 inches is a mark to shoot for on the shorties.

Here is my Sucker recipe

Quote:
Start out with 1-3 pound Suckers

Fillet and cut into 3 inch wide strips

Soak in Brine for 8+ hours in fridge

BRINE

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup sugar

1 quart water

Smoke with fresh apple wood still green

2 hours @ 200 degrees

Enjoy and be surprised.

They are quite tasty just lots of bones. I smoked about 30 pounds of redhorse this spring and it did not last long.

sweet! i am gonna get the exact length of the rod handle, then figure out the length of the fish.

she is definately my new PB shorthead laugh

im going to have to try that recipe! its already in the smoker, we used a barbecue sauce glaze

You mentioned concave dorsal for the shorthead. They actually have more of a reverse-S shaped dorsal. Often a very distinguishing characteristic.

shortheaddorsal.jpg

i know that, i usually have no trouble with short heads, but this one had me confused.. some shortheads have a more destinguished reverse S than others. this on wasnt very distinguished

here is one of mine with a very distinguished fin

June014.jpg

here is my first ever shorthead, the reverse S shape is not distinguishable. it is just plain concave.

June009.jpg

those 2 were caught in the same area on the same day, and they were close to the same size. so it is a good way to show the variation