• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best shotgun inbetween $400-$700

Well... you could go dependable with a remington 870, you could upgrade that with a Beneli Nova which would allow you to shoot 3.5 inch (love this gun) Or im not sure what price they are at right now but a winchester super X2 is a great gun. Very fast. not that it matters but it is quick, dependable and can put up with a lot of abuse and can also shoot 3.5 inch. I have the last two and love them both. Im sure there are other very good guns but I can vouch for these three. Let me know what ya buy

UMMMMM the Nova is a pump. And I owned one for two years and thought it was absolute junk. Before everyone gets on me about it, I believe it was just poorly manufactured, I know many people that own them and love them, I just would never get one again. As for the semi-auto. I would look at the Beretta AL390. It is one of the best guns on the market and I see that they are selling them new again. They quit selling them over hear for awhile but are now back. I have two of them, and I have never had a problem. Nothing wrong with an Reminton 11-87 either, the others may or may not be in your price range. Even the 11-87 might be getting up there.

I second or 3rd getting a semi-auto you will never go back. I have a Browning Gold and love it, but it's out of that price range. A Winchester SX2 is the same gun more or less so I would buy that or an SX3.

I have a Gold, and I won't trash talk a 935. Nor the Silvers, nor the 390's.

One thing that is cool with the Gold's is the auto-loading chamber when you slide the shell into an empty magzine. For trapshooting or going after cripples in boat (rowing, before anybody gets on me, ha!) or just getting a quick next round in, I really like this feature. Not sure if the 935's or the 390's or the Silver or the SX3 does this. I know the SX2 does not. The Sx2 and Gold are darn near the same gun, except for fit. We got a SX2 for my stepson, and he loves it. I think we paid $600 but that was pretty good price for synthetic black.

Good luck. I owned a 870 (Wingmaster, not Express) for about 12 years or so, and I can say for myself anyway, I used to be a Model 12 and 870 and pump "purist", going to semi-auto is best move I ever made. Second and third shots are more accurate, I feel. As for speed, who cares?... but with that said, there is no way a pump is faster than a semi-auto IMHO.

Good luck!

If you can make it another year, save up and get a benelli ultra light. Man those things are extremely light weight. My buddy has the montifeltro and the inertia bolt system is slick slick slick. The Berreta is a great choice as well. There are usually a couple 391's and 390's at GM in the used gun rack when I go by.....Good luck and let us know what you end up purchasing

Prolly so, as 870s are cheaper and more common. My statement stands as my 870 has jammed many times (years ago, before the Beretta). My Beretta hasnt.

My Beretta is no fancy gun. It is 14 years old and was $500 new. It just plain works. It has minor scratches and dings as you would expect from a well used gun, but it has been taken care of and never fails me....at least not yet! grin

Prolly so, as 870s are cheaper and more common. My statement stands as my 870 has jammed many times (years ago, before the Beretta). My Beretta hasnt.

I'm not doubting that your gun jams, but mine doesn't, and if there was a consistent jamming problem they wouldn't be so common and they surely wouldn't be in every cop car that didn't have a Mossberg 500.

Most 870 do not jam they just fail to feed the next round and that is normally caused by short stroking the pump wich means you almost bring the forend fully back and then close it wich causes the empty to to clear the chamber but not back far enough to release the next round from the tube.