• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1954 Chev 1/2 ton PU w/Hydromatic Trans

A coworker is looking for an ENCLOSED DRIVELINE for his 1954 Chevy 1/2 ton short box Pick up with an auto transmission. He needs a 390 gear rearend. He wants to stay with orginal parts. Is there anywhere that anyone can direct him OR does anyone have one? Thank you!

OR is there a forum I could direct him to?? Thanks!

I am guessing by the "no reply" status of my post no one has any ideas?? Does anyone have even the slightest suggestion? Even if it is wrong? He is having a hard time finding this and as you guys can appreciate; wants to be as orginal as possible with this beautiful pickup.....Thanks again! :-)

Google French Lake Auto Parts wink

If they do not have something close, they will know who has.

Also google Kanter, danchuk, Classic Chevrolet Parts catalog, brotherstrucks, classicparts (one word). If you can get a phone number and call them. If they do not have it, ask who does wink

Good luck!

Didn't know that Chev used the Hydramatic at that time. I know GMC offered it. Chev cars as well as Buicks from that era used an enclosed driveline. Quite possible the gearset from one of those maybe the same. Pontiac and Olds used the Hydramatic in their cars at that time. Maybe possible to convert to an open driveline if you had to using parts from one of them. Good luck.

fisherchick, Also google 'stovebolt' and 'bowtie bits'. It's all trucks and parts (new and used) from 1929-1955. As was posted earlier, I too don't recall the early '50 Chev trucks using an Auto trans. Could be a custom conversion though. Phred52

fisherchick, any luck at those sites? The truck you're talking about is a late 40's or early '50's correct? 1/2 ton, short wheelbase? If it were a 1.5 ton or 2 ton, then there's the possibility of a Cast iron Powerglide from the passenger cars being installed, but then the driveshaft wouldn't be enclosed. I'd be happy to trace this for you as I was in the auto salvage business for ~20 years, and have some surprising interchanges that might interest you. Plus, I've 'done time' with 2-'51 Chev pickups and rodded 1 of those. Now, I'm contemplating restoring a '52 1.5 ton with a factory box and hoist to use as my personal firewood hauler. Like I tell the wifey, I could be spending it in the bars! End of questions grin!! Phred52

fisherchick, I've done some research to satisfy my own curiousity and found that in 1953 the GMC 1/2 to 1 ton trucks offered a Dual-range 4 speed Hydra-matic transmission. It was ONLY available in the GMC line of trucks, not the Chevrolet line. If your truck has Chevrolet markings, they're probably not OEM or motor and trans aren't origional. Phred52