• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Firearms safety class

anyfishanytime

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about getting my son in a firearms safety class. I do not hunt but my son who just turned 13 has expressed interest in hunting and my brother-in-law who lives out in Buffalo MN is an avid hunter and said he would be willing to take him along duck hunting this fall.

We live in Eagan so would be looking for something in the south metro area.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Doug

Try to get going on this as the classes can and are filling up quickly.

Looks like the Eagan class is still open!

Here is a link to get you started. Also it might be a good idea for you to attend and get certified also. Or you can just sit in on the class with your son. Both good idea's if possible.

Attendance is key I believe you can only miss one class. Also check out the Field day dates as you will have to make that in order to get through and those are usually on the weekend.

Good Luck!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html#calendar

I would highly recommend all children take the course even if they never intend to use a firearm. It can go a long way toward teaching them how to respect firearms and at the same time they can learn that firearms are not something to fear.

When our oldest daughter turned 12 I told her that she would enroll. She had shown virtually zero interest in hunting or shooting sports. After completing the course she told me that she wanted to try deer hunting in the fall. At first I thought it was a fleeting thing and didn't really take it too serious. As we got closer to the deer season I asked her if she still wanted to go and she told me she did.

To make a long story short she nailed a nice 8-pointer within the first 20 minutes of opening morning and she's been going with us every year since. This will be her fourth year deer hunting.

I agree Pier and Bob, having kids take it is great idea whether they want to hunt or not, and a smart move. And while you are there anyway, sit in on it and get the cert. Many states require it of ALL hunters nowadays, regardless of age, and it just may teach something that even non hunters/shooters may find very important some day.

I took it long ago, but sat in with my Grandson, and while some is boring to some, the kids loved it and had a good time. smile

I found a "Adult Firearm Safety Training Class - Independent Study" thing in my town...would this be a better option for me? If I understand this correctly...I would be taking the class online and then showing up for this one day class to take the test and field exam, correct?

I don't know anything about the class you found but I'd like to offer a viewpoint about taking the class locally. I can't help but wonder what impression or example you could set for the kids if you were taking the class right along side them. Imagine you could teach them that firearms safety is important and worthwhile at any age.

I found a "Adult Firearm Safety Training Class - Independent Study" thing in my town...would this be a better option for me? If I understand this correctly...I would be taking the class online and then showing up for this one day class to take the test and field exam, correct?

Yes you are correct.

My GF took the real class as opposed to the online stuff. There were a lot of kids but also some adults. The adults were mostly women, but there were a few kids between 18-25.

If you are comfortable with guns and learned safety from your pops or something you would probably be just fine with the online course. You might pick up something important in the class though - read about the hands on experiences from other forum users in the other hunter safety thread.

I took a gun safety course this spring through Dakota County. I never had it when I was younger so I took it with my kid. Two nights a week for a month. Many parents sat in on the sessions with their kids. The instructors liked having some older people in class to offer real life scenarios to what they were trying to teach that night. I had a good time sitting in with the kids and I'm 44.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild

Yes you are correct.

My GF took the real class as opposed to the online stuff. There were a lot of kids but also some adults. The adults were mostly women, but there were a few kids between 18-25.

If you are comfortable with guns and learned safety from your pops or something you would probably be just fine with the online course. You might pick up something important in the class though - read about the hands on experiences from other forum users in the other hunter safety thread.

I have gone through thousands of rounds and fired many different pistols and rifles. I know proper safety and know how guns work and different calibers. I think I will just do the online class even though I'm sure the classroom style classes are more beneficial.

Once you have taken a certified course, boating safety, firearm safety, snowmobile safety it shows up as an endorsement on your drivers lisc. At least I have the firearms and snowmobile endorsments on my DL. Courses are regularly given at Gander, Cabelas and your local sportsmans clubs so those are places you could check for courses as well.

Tunrevir~

I just turned 40 last December.. in September I took my Class..I figured if my boys could take it and pass, I should too.

My parents were never hunters, and never gave me the chance to go..

I think every hunter in the state should take a class or some sort of refresher every 5yrs or so..