Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

Hunting Boots

14 posts in this topic

Need a new pair of hunting boots for this year, my feet get cold easy so i was thinking something with 800 or more for insulation. Any ideas?

LaCrosse! About the only brand I'll wear anymore. Bought a pair of 800s just before my 1st trip to ID a bunch of years ago. Wore them mostly right out of the box, no problem at all. Bought a second pair from Sierra Trading (Cheyenne, WY) at about 1/3 the cost.

Figure out where/what you're going to hunt?

I always had rocky's and loved them, last year I needed a new pair and got the Cabelas branded boots for 1/2 the price of Rocky's. They are comfortable and warm and great soles and I am glad I went with them. The only thing I would like to change is the their height but it is nice when treking through snow and mud to keep your pants dry.

My feet have never gotten cold in the insulated MUCK BOOTS or the ICE KINGS.

I used to have problems with my feet getting cold but have solved the problem with uninsulated boots, feet don't sweat anymore therfore no more cold feet. I even use them icefishing without any problems

MrKlean,

What you wearing inside those boots? Gotten completely away from cotton years ago.

I start with a poly liner sock, sometimes marino wool, then a heavier poly, maybe wool blend but mostly poly. Feet stay dry and so warm with wicking power of poly. I use that combination for all cold weather activities just might add another heavy pair or medium weight.

Last year after packing way in in ID I realized I'd not packed any warm socks, just the liner pairs. Got by in those 800s with a liner and liner marino over it the whole trip.

TerryT hit the nail on the head. I would say before you buy insulated boots, think about how your feet get cold. Do you sweat first and then get cold? What do you wear for socks?

I am a warm person and sweat in my boots, so I am usually good with the same 400gram boots into december and I use a wicking sock with a wool sock to keep my foot warm and dry.

I have 2 pairs of Cabelas boots now, a set of rubber sport boots and the Saskatchawan pac boots for bitter cold and ice fishing. I've had both for more than 2 years and they are great.

as far as comfort goes and staying warm I don't think you can beat Danner Pronghorns. Feels like you are wearing tennis shoes. I have had a couple diff pairs over the last few years and they are awesome!

my feet dont sweat they do get cold, i layer with 2 wool socks and a normal sock usually, my boots are gore-tex but not high enough insluation so thats why i was looking to get higher inslulation. i think im gonna look at the cabelas boots they have some pretty good priced boots.

I have a pair of the Cabellas Outfitter 12" w/ 800gr. I love them. I wear them on the boat, still hunting, stand hunting, field walking, in the bwca, basically everywhere I travel. With the proper socks they will be comfortable to 20 degrees. They are waterproof and comfortable out of the box. My $.02.

i ended up getting some irish setters really nice like them a lot more then the cableas ones i tried on

Irish Setters, made right here in Minnesota. Good choice.

I've had the same set of setters for 5 years now. Tough boot, great value!!

Mrklean, Irish Setters are a great boot. I doubt your claim that your feet don't sweat though, you just don't know it. It's going into the lining of your shoes/boots. The average person's feet lose a pint a day when enclosed in most types of footwear that we're talking about - rubber being the worst. Unless you've got one of those rare conditions that prevents your body from evaporating, you're probably sweating, and moisture is the biggest cause of cold feet, that and too tight a fit/too many socks.