• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will they every grow enough ?

Jim Almquist

We started our tomato plants indoors but had to wait to get them in the ground because of frost. The plants are now 3' and blooming but we still have no tomato's. Is it too late ? We live in Carlton and we just have not got the warm weather they need. I do know that next year I will start them sooner and put them in pots that I can bring indoors.

It will depend on how the rest of the year progresses. We have just now begun to see green tomatoes on ours here in central MN and we got them in early this year.

Our plants are HUGE!!! 4-5 feet in Height and heavy with both fruit and blossoms, but they will not rippen at all. They get plenty of water and sun, but just wont ripen. Hopefully we get some H E A T this month to get things going.

The beans and pea's have been good though. At least that keeps the 5 year old entertained.

Our plants are HUGE!!! 4-5 feet in Height and heavy with both fruit and blossoms, but they will not rippen at all. They get plenty of water and sun, but just wont ripen. Hopefully we get some H E A T this month to get things going.

The beans and pea's have been good though. At least that keeps the 5 year old entertained.

That is a good point. If we don't get the heat units the tomatoes may have trouble getting ripe on the vine.

There is some warm weather forecasted for later in the week. That should help. Its only early August. There is still plenty of time for tomatoes to ripen.

I'm in the same boat. My early girl tomatoes are just starting to turn red. My roma's are probably 2 weeks or more behind those. Be patient. Vine ripedned tomatoes are ten times more tasty than bag ripened.

We have Roma's and I believe that other was a Big Beef or Beefeater. I was thinking with all the cool weather we have been having that we might not have enough time. They sure do look good so I guess we will just wait and see.

Those are late season tomatoes.Next time you might want to try some Early Girls.

If you order from a seed catalog,there are lots of good early tomatoes.I have been eating Glacier,Beaver lodge Slicer,Beaver Lodge Plum,Taxi,Saucey,Legend, and Santium for about 2 weeks.They aren't big but true tomatoe flavor.

Glacier,Beaver lodge Slicer,Beaver Lodge Plum,Taxi,Saucey,Legend, and Santium for about 2 weeks.They aren't big but true tomato flavor.

Glacier is a really good early tomato, it does extremely well in 5 gal pots too. I've got a couple brandywine that are just starting to turn a bit pink. Bought the fresh mozzarella yesterday! grin