• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buffalo question

how do you catch them if they are filter feeding?

use tiny lures, fly fishing with small flies would be a good idea. i would think scuds and midge flies wouldbe a good choice, but fly fishing for buffs is deadheads zone. i know very little about buffs. but you learn alot searching the internet and researching. i also read about bread balls under a float somewhere on here.

i would think flies like this would be good.

black_midge_pupae.jpg

fall_flies_scud.jpg

I'd be drifting tiny midge (chironomid) patterns through that school like brassies or buzzers, size 14 maybe even larger as I've seen a few giant midges here and there. They should definitely be tied on 2X heavy hooks, not trout hooks, or you'll start pulling hooks free and bending them.

If those midges won't get them to move, try some smaller PT nymphs or hare's ears. Adjust the weight of your rig to the current, to get the fly to hang in the zone as long as possible. You can even try a dropper rig with a caddis or mayfly emerger up top, and a scud or heavier nymph down below.

Sometimes, though, they just won't feed, especially when water temps are high (or cold) and they are in a state of torpor. Buffalo aren't known for being an easy catch. Have patience.

anyone know if a crawler under a float would work?

here is what i came accross today on the cannon.

100e0232.jpg

i'll have to bring my flyrod next time

deadhead, where are you?

Forget the flyrod Pick up a bow and aim LOW! grin

Originally Posted By: roughfish29
anyone know if a crawler under a float would work?

here is what i came accross today on the cannon.

100e0232.jpg

i'll have to bring my flyrod next time

deadhead, where are you?

Forget the flyrod Pick up a bow and aim LOW! grin

HK50...I think your on the wrong forum here. Learn how to tell the difference between a native Bigmouth Buffalo and a Common Carp. Its your responsibility as a bow-fisherman to know what your shooting at, before you shoot it. You shouldn't be shooting these native fish anyways, what ya wanna screw up the entire food chain? Your not doing your civil duty thinning them out for everyone either. You wanna kill something, maybe go after invasive Carp or Brown Trout or something? Each native fish has its own special duties and place in our ecosystem here, if you didn't know....

I believe Buffalo are classified as a rough fish, legal for bowfisherman. Mudcatmen, while you have your belief, it's not really appropriate to rant here. Buffalo are native, but are not over-utilized, and a few bowfishermen taking fish is not going to harm the fishery.

I believe Buffalo are classified as a rough fish, legal for bowfisherman. Mudcatmen, while you have your belief, it's not really appropriate to rant here. Buffalo are native, but are not over-utilized, and a few bowfishermen taking fish is not going to harm the fishery.

You may think my "rant" is uncalled for, but this is an angling forum for roughfish, not the bow-fishing/spearing forum. I may be new here, but I know folks on this forum dont want to hear or see stuff like this. We are not on your bow-fishing forum telling you that bow-fishing is a no skill, waistful style hobby. Its too bad that we have to watch what we post, watch the pictures we post, all to make sure bow-fishers dont find our spots. Yes, the bow-fishing croud may be small, but when you see the dead fish littered all over your spot, or you pull up to your favorite spot, only to see men with mullets and wifebeaters killing all your target species, It kind of rubs you the wrong way.....

Sorry if folks are insulted.....I know I'm not the only one here that feels this way!

I backup Mudcatman!

Ignorance is bliss......If he put this on the Bowfishing Forum it would not be appropriate! Since this is the ANGLING section I do not like comments like this I find "Aim low" as offensive!

Here is a recent event that is a part of why I dislike Bowfishing!

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/2009...ave-been-record

I am not saying bowfishing is wrong just the shoot anything that moves is what bugs me.

If people who impaled fish ate them, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I only shoot what I will eat.

Amen. The only problem I even have here is bow-fishermen making smart a$$ coments on our angling efforts for roughfish. Face it dudes, roughfishing is catching on in popularity. No need to make uncalled for comments on here in the first place. You have your own forum now, so there is really no excuse for it. The only reason these bow guys are even checking out this forum is because they want your spots. Its sure not for any love of the fish or the sport of angling for them. So, I would really be watching your pictures you post, you never know who can ID your spot in the background. Especially with this new night time shooting season. Many more will be out doing this now. All it takes is one or two bow-fishermen a couple days of shooting to clean out your favorite Gar/Sucker/Redhorse/Quillback/Buffalo/Carp hole....

Not saying theres anything wrong with doing this, but I certainally dont want you doing it in my spots.

Fair enough. I guess I've been around the forum for too long, to where roughfish/bowfishing was all lumped into one. His comment should have been in the bowfishing forum.

I am not a bowfisherman, and do fish for rough fish(as you can see by my avatar). And I wasn't really commenting on the placement of the comment, but more the ecological argument you made, as it was a little unfounded.

That said, I am not trying to create an argument.

I must apologize; I did not intend to make anyone mad. Just for the record I do enjoy angling under utilized fish as well, and any animal (fish, fowl, or mammal) I harvest is not left to rot. Carp and buffalo are delicious smoked or batter fried, they also make great fertilizer. Please don't sterotype and I will keep my bowfishing posts in the appropriate forum.

No problems here! I was out of line with my judging of bow-fisherman looks and behavior. Its an easy thing to do when you see bad bowfishing practices going on. I apologise to those who were offended. I'm just trying to make a few vaild points and educate those who maybe didn't know any better. There are some pretty irritating steriotypes about roughfish as well. Those are what I'm trying to break. I'm glad they seperated the two categories finally. They really are two very different aspects of fishing.

By the way, I am a long time "lurker" of this site. Glad to be finally contributing something.

I must apologize; I did not intend to make anyone mad. Just for the record I do enjoy angling under utilized fish as well, and any animal (fish, fowl, or mammal) I harvest is not left to rot. Carp and buffalo are delicious smoked or batter fried, they also make great fertilizer. Please don't sterotype and I will keep my bowfishing posts in the appropriate forum.

no problem man. i have bowfished a couple times in my life, and it is quite fun, though i only shot them to get them smoked, and they werent biting. i had a really bad craving for some smoked carp lol.

the only time i will ever bowfish, is if the fish are not cooperating, and i have a craving for smoked carp.

as stated above, only shoot what you can eat. i shoot a maximum of 10 to get smoked. and that is it until i need more. but by that time, the fish are more than willing to cooperate