• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I recently bought a Remington 870 that came with a modified choke. I also purchased a full and improved cylinder choke tube. The full choke has it marked for steel and lead shot. The modified and imp. cylinder do not have this marking. Can these two handle steel shot? I called GM and the associate didn't know and suggested to call later this week and ask a gunsmith. I am sure someone here would know.

Steel through a full choke usually doesn't pattern very well, particularly larger shot size. Steel will hold its pattern better than lead generally, so you don't need as restrictive a choke than with lead. I usually stick with IC and Modified when shooting steel.

The best way, as most anyone will say, is to get out and pattern your gun with each choke tube and different shot sizes that you generally will use.

The answer to your question is yes the mod and IC will handle steel. The only reason the full says steel or lead is because most full chocks are not ment to handle steel. But Remington makes full chock that can handle it.(only if it says full steel or lead on the chock) In my experience my 870 didn't pattern to well with the full with steel. I bought a pattern master after market chock. It patterns alot better with larger steel (2,BB,BBB,T) that you shoot for waterfowl.

Thanks for clarifying this. One other question regarding my new gun. Breaking it in. Is there a recommended way to properly break in a new gun or do you just start shooting? I read something at GM about properly breaking in a shotgun. It involved shooting a few rounds then clean barrel then shoot some more rounds and repeat the process...something along these lines.

If your looking for a good choke you should look at the "Kicks" line. They are the same technology as a patternmaster, but are a little less expensive, and they give the same quality/pattern as a patternmaster. I prefer the long range in my Benelli.

I don't know if there is a right way to brake in a shotgun. The first day i bought my 870 i went out goose hunting with it. There might be something with a rifle but with a shotgun i don't think it mattered

Quote:
shooting a few rounds then clean barrel then shoot some more rounds and repeat the process...something along these lines.

crazy Man if that's the case Ive been doing it wrong for 40 years but then again I shoot 870s.

laugh Must be for those new fancy guns.

Just pump or shuck the action without pulling the trigger a few hundred times to loosen the action up.

New pumps the actions are a little stiff at first so working it and pretend shooting will help your shooting and getting that second and third shot effortlessly!