• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do on oil

backlash 1

I have a new 2008 AC 400 auto. I have 50 miles on it and am at the 10 hr mark. I want to do the first oil change now but cannot decide to switch it over to synthetic now or wait until after another oil change. I only put on about 50 mi in a typical year and will be using it for fall, early ice,snow plowing and late ice.

People have said don't switch it over until it is fully broken in at 200-400mi, my dealer says go ahead and switch it over now. I don't think it really matters, the little bit I drive it, but,I would like to do what is best in the long run. What do you guys think?

According to the AC manual, breakin is over at 100mi or 10 hrs. After many hours of on line research, this subject has been brought up time after time and I would say a high percentage of AC owners said their machines did'nt "come alive" until after 200-400 miles.

Some say when you start using synthetic oil, wear stops. If the machine is not totaly broke in at that point, then what?

So, I changed the oil and filter today, put in the AC 10-40 as so many recomended. Actually had a noticeable amount of metal shavings and gasket material in the drain oil, which makes me feel good about waiting for one more oil change before going synthetic. Now I just need to get some more miles on.