• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Durango

Hi All- havent been on here for awhile-busy moving, etc. We are looking at a used Durango 06-08 w/ 5.7 Hemi. Wondered what those of you that have one think of the vehicle in general. Is it a good truck/SUV. and or complaints about them.. Thanks! Also- syas its rated to tow up to 7400 lbs. I am assuming I could pull a good sized camper with it w/out any problems, right?

I have had an 06 Durango with the Hemi for about a year and a half now. Bought it with 35k on it, and am in the low 50k's on it now. So far no major problems, just a wheel bearing wearing out. Like the size of it and the Hemi has plenty of power, especially in that 3-5k RPM sweetspot. Its been a good truck so far. I actually prefer the looks of the 07 and newer versions, as they toned down the "bulginess" of the exterior. It has comfortable seats and rides pretty well, not too bouncy or jarring. Not sure if the newer ones have an aux/Ipod input for the stereo, as mine does not, which is a bummer. (One can be added, however) I wouldn't go super crazy with any offroading in it, but I did plow through some good size snow banks on Winnie last ice fishing season and do drive out in some fields for pheasant hunting, and haven't had a problem.

I have only pulled a midsize loaded U-haul trailer with it so far and it wasn't a problem. I have a buddy with the same truck that tows an 18.5 ft runabout boat regularly no problem. We both have the tow package, and I believe with the tow package equipped its rated to tow up to 9000 lbs or somewhere in that neighborhood, so you may want to check into that. I get around 14-16 City and 17-19 Hwy, obviously you'll get less than that when towing!

My only complaints are the lack of an Ipod input, I wish it got better mileage (as every SUV/truck owner does), and the HVAC on "auto" seems to be on all the time. Also their is a plastic piece at the bottom of the front seats that covers where the seatbelt connects and that tends to pop off if you catch it with your leg.

I've only had it for a year and half, but its been a good truck so far and we've been happy with it. Plus, I have a LTD, and was able to find it for $5-7k less than a comparable Tahoe or Expedition.

If you have any other specific questions, just post them and I can try and answer them

Good luck on your purchase!

CJH

I have a 02 durrango and though it is smaller than the newer ones. It pulls my 17 ft lund with ease. I pulled a loaded trailer with dirt probably pushing 7000 lbs and surprisingly really pulled it with out much problem. Mine has the 4.7 the hemi would pull much more. I have about 78000 on mine I just put in a new front bearing yesterday and other than that one set of brake pads in front. I have never been much of a dodge fan, my wife picked out the durrango. But I have nothing bad to say about it.

The wife used to have a Durango and all in all it was and OK truck. Like others have said lots of power (to light for the power IMO) but what I didn't like about it was that it was small for the amount of gas it drank. You can get as good or better milage with a suburban and have 3 times the room.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I actually would rather have the Expedition or Suburban, but as CJH said- it was alot more for one of them than the Durango Hemi. With comparable miles/equipment, we were looking at at least 20k for the Expedition and 24-27 for the Suburban. And the wife has a much easier time w/the handling of the Durango vs. the other two. We ended up getting an '05 Durango Limited w/Hemi w/33k miles loaded for 17,500. Don't pick it up 'til Fri. though. Once all the kids are out of the house, maybe then I can get my truck! But this seems like a nice rig and plenty of power. Plus, '05 was last year Dodge offered the 7 yr/70k mile warranty. After '05, it dropped to the 3 yr./36,000 mi. warranty. So that is a good thing, too. If anyone else cares to chime in I am still interested in other opinions on the Durango Hemi. Thx, 8-Ball.

My wife has a 2006 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi which we bought new. It has about 30,000 miles on it. We haven't had a single issue with it. She primarily uses it as a grocery getter and kid taxi around the city. The gas mileage on it is terrible. She generally gets around 11.5-12 MPG doing that city driving. If we run it on the highway we can get 16-17 MPH. If I were to get another Durango it would be one with the smaller engines. We don't tow anything with the Durango so a big v-8 isn't needed.

Thanks for info.. we will be towing boat and perhaps good-sized trailer down the road so we needed to get the 5.7. Couldn't be worse mileage than my 97 Explorer and alot mmore power when I need it. I'll try to stay off the pedal city driving!

Thanks for info.. we will be towing boat and perhaps good-sized trailer down the road so we needed to get the 5.7. Couldn't be worse mileage than my 97 Explorer and alot mmore power when I need it. I'll try to stay off the pedal city driving!

One thing to make sure when towing anything heavy with this vehicle is that you have some type of trailer breaking system. The Durango is a very light truck with a big engine (the 5.7) so yes it can put most anything but may not have the weight to stop what it can pull. Think 70 mph and hitting the break when SOP pulls into your lane.

Good point. If the Durango serves your needs in size and towing etc. then it should be a good truck for you. Like I said before, we liked the truck allot it was just to small for us. I don't like to pack, I like to just throw everything in and go smile

I hear ya Fishorgolf. I have a very organized wife that picks up the slack for my poor packing foibles! Got 15.8 mpg pulling the boat back home w/ the 5.7. I was ok w/ that. I was gettin 10 mpg w/ the explorer so I'll take the extra creature comforts the Durango offers we did not have in the explorer and the increased power doesnt hurt either..