• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Walleye rod recomendations?

waxworm09

Question

I am looking to purchase a new 6'6" medium or ML spinning rod. I was going to buy the Cabelas XML rod, it was $139, on sale for $49. But the sale ended before I bought it. So I need some advice on what rod to buy. I want to spend around 70 bucks, 100 at the most. And preferably made in the U.S. The St. Croix Premier series looks nice at 100 bucks, any other suggestions?

19 answers to this question

I am looking to purchase a new 6'6" medium or ML spinning rod. I was going to buy the Cabelas XML rod, it was $139, on sale for $49. But the sale ended before I bought it. So I need some advice on what rod to buy. I want to spend around 70 bucks, 100 at the most. And preferably made in the U.S. The St. Croix Premier series looks nice at 100 bucks, any other suggestions?

I would suggest a Limit Creek Smoothie -- it is a great walleye rod about $90 and Turk here on HSO makes them I know a few bait shops sell them and you can order them direct from the HSOforum, just google limit creek rods.

You know i had the cabelas rod and upgraded to the St. Croix when we were at Leech. I did the same with my sons, as I broke the last 3 eyes off it the first day, long story. Reeds, not sure if they are a sponsor but was very impressed with their customer service. They knocked off some money when I told them what i wanted to pay and gave us great ideas. Living in Phoenix, I have ordered several things from them online. I love my stc as does my son never knew what having a good rod did for fishing. good luck.

Go with a limit creek smoothie. Hands down my favorite walleye rod. I've caught more fish with that than buddies in my boat using higher end rods. It's got great feel and is just an all around great rod. Plus you are buying from a small busines and a great guy, you can't beat that.

Check out the Gander Mtn Ultimate Titanium...6.6"...7'...Med..or med/hvy..very light rods and ulta sensitive.

The Jason Mitchell Elite Series #JMSS66MF.....very nice!

I'm a fan of the Fenwick HMX 6'6"and the 7' med/heavy Ex/Fast too. Great rod for $90.

For an American made rod in the price range your only choice is a St. Croix, Premier or Mojo. If you can swing it an Avid is a nice upgrade and worth the extra dollars. You will like your new St. Croix, and once you have one, it probably won't be your last.

i agree with the st croix premier. excellent rod for the cash. the avid is unelievable for the money. i like the 2 i have more than my buddies loomis walleye series for about a 100 less to. i own two avids and one premier. every rod gets used every time i fish. all great. i wish i could test fish rods. wouldnt that be great.

I don't have one yet but a Grandt rod will be my next walleye rod. My buddy has one that he let me use and the thing was unbelievable. I believe they are a little more money then what you're looking to spend, but it doesn't hurt to look.

There are lots of good rods out there in the price range requested, but the poster wants and American made rod, that leaves him the St. Croix Premier and Mojo. And some of those are now made in North America, however St. Croix is such a stand up company they are not afraid to print right on the rod whether it is made in America or North America. How many other rod companies tell you where the rod is made, other than maybe a sticker on the butt cap when purchased.

There are lots of good rods out there in the price range requested, but the poster wants and American made rod, that leaves him the St. Croix Premier and Mojo. And some of those are now made in North America, however St. Croix is such a stand up company they are not afraid to print right on the rod whether it is made in America or North America. How many other rod companies tell you where the rod is made, other than maybe a sticker on the butt cap when purchased.

The Grandt rod is made in the USA. I know it isn't $90 but it's $139 with a lifetime unconditional guarantee. They are made with MILLIONS more modulus then their nearest competitor and come with a lifetime warranty.

A specifically made in the USA rod is getting tough to find, especially at that price range, and I think the options have been mentioned.

For the price you are looking at however, that Limit Creek Smoothie is a heck of a stick. Not made in USA but distributed by a very local, stand up guy. I'd recommend this rod in a heartbeat, regardless of your rod requirements.

A specifically made in the USA rod is getting tough to find, especially at that price range, and I think the options have been mentioned.

For the price you are looking at however, that Limit Creek Smoothie is a heck of a stick. Not made in USA but distributed by a very local, stand up guy. I'd recommend this rod in a heartbeat, regardless of your rod requirements.

Chris is right on. With a Limit Creek you are buying from a small business, a great guy and getting one he11 of a rod!!

I Have more expensive rods but my favorites right now are the st. croix Avids and the Jason Mitchel jigging rod. In fact for some reason on our last trip the wife kept ending up with the JM even when I kept handing her different rods. smile

i 'll also throw out the Cabelas prodigy rod too for $99. I bought one this year and really liked its sensitivity jigging. You can also get them in combo with Shimano Symetre/Sahara/Sedona reels for a good deal if you pay attention to their sales. I got he Prodigy rod/ Symetre reel combo for $50 off this past spring. I also have a XML rod that I got from the bargain cave and is very comparable to Avid rods (slight edge to Avids though). I got the XML for less than half price, pay attention and they will be on sale again.