• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Tip of the Day: How to Hook a Bullhead

SteveD

It appears this type of rig and quick strike rigs fall under

(3) as otherwise prescribed by the commissioner.

This is what Pat Watts DNR Enforcement Division, St Paul MN had to say about these types of rigs.

I am going to keep a laminated copy of this in my tackle box.

Quote:

----- Forwarded Message ----

To: merkman <>

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 9:44:38 AM

Subject: Re: Legal or illegal?

You are correct that the current statute language would not allow either rig to be used. However, these are fairly common configurations used for angling that are generally not causing problems.

With that in mind, DNR started a permanent rule package in process in about 2006 that would clearly allow up to three single or multiple hooks that are either inserted into live bait or within three inches of the live bait. Only one live bait could be used on a line. Live bait would include bait that is alive, dead, or preserved. That rule package would also allow one additional single or multiple hook when the additional hook is within three inches of an artificial bait. Artificial bait would include jugs, artificial flies, and flashing spoons. Quick strike rigs and stinger hook arrangements meeting these requirements could be used.

Originally, we thought that rule change would be completed in 2007, but some of the changes in the rule package have been more controversial than originally anticipated, and is taking more time to get through all the legal processes.

While this 3-inch rule language has not yet been adopted, it is a standard that our officers have been working with in the interim, and is acceptable for anglers to use.

One other comment - I cannot tell for sure how large the bullhead is in the photo that was attached to your email, but bullheads that are used for bait cannot be over seven inches long (legal definition of a minnow). The hitch comes in when transporting live bullheads that are over seven inches. There will likely be some changes that allow some limited transportation of the larger bullheads for use as bait in the rule package I mentioned above, but I am not certain of the details at this point in time. If you catch bullheads in the same body of water you are fishing and do not remove them from the water body, that should be okay.

Pat Watts, DNR Enforcement Division, St Paul MN

>>> merkman <> 8/15/2009 8:08 PM >>>

I was wondering if you could give me some clarification.

Is the attached bait set up legal or illegal for winter and summer angling of catfish (or other fish) in Minnesota?

Would adding a bead and or spinner to the front of this set up make it legal since the rig would then become an artificial bait?

I also have questions about quick strike rigs such as the second attached picture.

Are they legal for winter and summer fishing in Minnesota?

The reason I ask is that many people tell me they are legal however the following Minnesota statute could be interpreted that they are illegal?

97C.315 ANGLING LINES AND HOOKS.

Subd. 2. Hooks.

An angler may not have more than one hook on a line, except:

(1) three artificial flies may be on a line used to take largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, trout, crappies, sunfish, and rock bass;

(2) a single artificial bait may contain more than one hook; and

(3) as otherwise prescribed by the commissioner.

Yupper..that's a ><,sUMo,>

Originally Posted By: Ed Carlson
Also kinda curious...that Dark Backed Flatty in your profile pic...If you remember...what month was that caught in, and on what river...generality on location works for me...the month/date I'm more curious about?

14 August 2005 on the St Croix River. I was all by myself and caught her at 0030 in the morning. I had a heck of a time getting her into the boat. You can fish two rods on the St Croix and right in the middle of fighting her the other rod took off. I hooked the other fish up with one hand and had the big fish on in my other hand. I quick put the second rod back in the rod holder while I handled the big fish. I didn't have a net big enough so I grabbed her by the lower lip and hoisted her into the boat. I then grabbed the other rod and wrestled it near the boat and it was a great big turtle. I cut the line and went back to the big fish. I had some trouble with my camera but did manage a couple of good pics. I got her back into the water in good condition and she swam away strong. She was a beauty - I try to fish that same spot every year at that time hoping to catch her again and just a little bigger this time. I guess I better head out there again tommorrow night. Here is another pic of her:

14Aug0555Flat2.jpg

Way to follow through, Merkman. If in doubt, go to the source.

I could laminate it and put it in my box, but I think I'll be able to remember the name and the gist of the email, and if the CO still wants to hassle me with a ticket, then I'll bring a printout to court. I have enough stuff to haul around already.