Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

How far to drive for work??

40 posts in this topic

Would you guys drive 1 1/2 hours ONE-WAY to work to live in the country and NOT have a mortgage??? We have the opportunity to move to southern MN on a 5 acre country property through and "inheritance" type situation.

Thanks for the help.

I use to make the afternoon commute at 5 pm in phoenix. i drove 38 miles one way which equates to 1.5 hrs. In the am it was an easy commute as i was going early enough that it would take less than 25 min. Would i do it again, i think so, the job would have to be worth the drive, the country living in my mind would offset the drive. In Mn, the only issue would be winter time when you have issues with snow/ice. I can deal with the heat and the dust storms, however many folks here do not have a clue on how to drive in either. I guess my happiness and that of my family would be a deciding factor. Good luck, i wish i had to make a decision like this. ours is do we get to turn our a/c off in dec or jan lol

I drive 65 miles one way to work sometimes it gets old but its worth it to be in the lakes and woods.

Would you guys drive 1 1/2 hours ONE-WAY to work to live in the country and NOT have a mortgage??? We have the opportunity to move to southern MN on a 5 acre country property through and "inheritance" type situation.

Thanks for the help.

YES!!!!!

Every day of the week and twice on Sunday, YES!!!! Bite the bullet, pay the taxes, and move "out".

I think I would. Always wanted to live in the situation you are talking about. The comute would suck I'm sure on days, but then to get home and have a few acres and quite would make it worth it IMO. I would look at getting an economical car for the commute though and not drive my truck unless I just had to. Gas price would be the part that would suck for me, other than that I could handle the time.

you could also rent a cheap place near work to just crash during the week, if things would work out that way

I did that for two years. It was worth it in a way, but I think I would also get a cheap place to stay during the week if you didn't feel like making the drive, if possible. Also depends on the number of hours you work, and it does get to be a hassle sometimes, especially in the winter months when there isn't much daylight if you work longer than regular hours.

Any chance of working from home a day or two a week? If so, then yes. Otherwise it would be 50/50 for me. I use to have a long commute and just hated it. We have a 1.5 year old and all I could think about was the wasted time away from her and my wife while sitting in the car.

However a nice place out in the country with no mortgage is mighty tempting!!!

You think about it. 1-1/2 hours driving every day works out to just about another half-day's work.

Would you guys drive 1 1/2 hours ONE-WAY to work to live in the country and NOT have a mortgage???

Nope, my free time is more valuable to me than my mortage amount. Plus, why would I want to move 1 1/2 hrs away from my friends?

NO-way, sell the farm pay off your mortgage. Think about vehicle and gas cost, and being too tired by the time you get home to do anything. Then spend the weekend mowing the grass, blowing snow, ect ect when you should be fishing.

When I worked in downtown Minneapolis 20 years ago, I lived 45 miles away for awhile (1 hr each way), then moved to 65 miles away (1.5 hrs each way), and made that commute five days a week.

First off, I enjoy driving. Always have. And the drive in allowed me to plan my working day and figure out in advance those things that could be figured out. The drive home allowed me to wind down so when I got home I was already relaxed. Those are things that, if I lived right by my city job, I'd have been spending time at home before and after work doing anyway, so I didn't consider the drive time wasted.

Plus I drove a 1989 Toyota Tercel, which got 42mpg highway, so I was only using about three gallons of gas per day for the drive.

I worked an odd hours schedule (roughly 2 to 10 p.m.) so I didn't have to contend with any rush-hour traffic. I suspect if I worked an 8-5 deal I'd have been far less pleased with the drive. I'm as impatient with snarled traffic as the next person.

The closer location was a small town (Cambridge). The farther location was a farm in Wisconsin. I was happier driving the extra distance to and from the farm than I was in the small town, but I'm a rural kind of guy. Have preferred that my whole life. I can't relax near as well in the city as I can in the country. Just being able to see the dew on the hayfields and wander around the old barn and other outbuildings on the farm would have made it worth the extra drive, even were it not for those other things.

My philosophy was that I don't mind working in the city if that's what I have to do, but I'm darned if I'm going to live there. I still do a fair amount of work in the T.C., and definitely appreciate the very cool people I've met there, but now it's an even LONGER drive. gringrin

But different people have different priorities, and I have rellies who live in the T.C. metro area that are happy as can be listening to the heartbeat of the city.

In the interest of full disclosure....

I currently drive 45-65min on the way into work, and 1-1.5 hours back home already so the added 25min would not bother me much. Live North of St. Francis (Isanti) and work in Maple Grove/Plymouth.

IMO "rural" type people look at things differently than more "metro" folks. In high school it took me 45 min to drive myself to school. It is a half hour for me just to get anyplace. When I was painting I regularly drove 2hours one way for work. Never bothered me.

I guese it comes down to who you are. Like I said, I would happily and without question drive 1.5 hours one way to have no mortgage and live in the country with acreage.

(more full discosure) Of coarse, "drive time" was a minor contributing factor in my divorce...... So mabe you need to sit down and talk to your wife and find out how she feels about it....

Absolutely not. Life is way too short and my time with my family is way too precious. Not to mention when gas goes back up to $4 or $5 a gallon (and it will), you will be paying another mortgage, your fuel expenses!!

I had a 1 1/2 hour commute for a while and I found it ate up too much of my time. So I moved closer to work. But to each his own. 3 hours a day just getting to and from work is a lot of time.

I have lived 55 miles from work for about 7 years now. It take anywhere from 1 hr 15 min to 3+ hours (if major accident or big snowfall) probably about 1.5 hours on average. I like driving and like the time to unwind although sometimes it gets old, but unless something drastic changes in my life I expect I will be doing it for at least another 7 years. I think it mainly comes down to if you like the area you would be moving to and like to drive (if you hate driving then don't bother). Also, I didn't see if you said you were married or not. If so, would she have the same commute? Is she from the area you live now and is that where her family lives. If so, ot may be a hard move from here. When my wife and I first got married I tried to turn her into a city girl and live closer to work. But she didn't like an unfamilar area and hated being an hour from her family so after a year we moved back basically for her. Just something to keep in mind.

If you do make the move invest in some beater cars. Nothing worse than racking up 25-30,000 miles a year on a car you have a loan on.

Thinking about it more, with my kids I don't think I would want that much time behind the wheel. If my kids were grown or I wasn't planning on having any, I would still do it.

Thinking about it more, with my kids I don't think I would want that much time behind the wheel. If my kids were grown or I wasn't planning on having any, I would still do it.

Are there others where you work that could share the commute or part of it with you? It could ease some of the mundane part of the ride.

Guess it depends on where in Southern MN. I live in SW MN and a 1 1/2 hour drive in July is a WHOLE lot different in January.

Snow falls sideways in the prairie. White outs are nothing out of the ordinary, roads close, and now what do you do???

Snow falls sideways in the prairie. White outs are nothing out of the ordinary, roads close, and now what do you do???

Unfortunately, you use up a vacation day. That's what I did when I lived 45 miles from Grand Forks, N.D., and worked in Grand Forks. I'd much rather use a vacation day vacationing instead of looking out the windows of my house at a WHOLE LOT of upcoming snow removal labor. frownfrown

If you don't get vacation/sick days, well, it's even worse. Then you're out actual wages. Been there, lost that. madmad

Geez, Eric, you're making me feel nostalgic about my early days on the Prairie. gringrin

I work construction so there is really no knowing how far I'm going to be from the jobsite. With that said, yep, it would be nice to have a ten or twenty minute commute like some of my coworkers. Right now my sixty miles commute sucks but I sure like it when I'm home. There's a price to pay one way or another. My kids being raised in a small town is worth it to me. Sadly, they think living in a larger town is where it's at. They'll see when they get old enough. I like it here in Mayberry.

I drove 1.5 hrs to work many years ago when in Army in California. Salinas to Hunter Liggett for those curious. It was a real drag. And I didn't have kids.

Leave at 6, get to work at 7:30. Work until 4:30 Get home at 6. Eat supper, Go to bed at 9 to get up at 5 to get ready to leave.

OK, maybe could stay up till 10 and not get up until 530 but basically during the week it was drive and work and sleep. Not time for much else.

get out of the city while you can. there is nothing like the quiet life weekends are so much more enjoyable when you dont have constant noise. plus be honest with yourself who really gets anything done during the week anyway. we all think we are going to but we dont so the extra time in the car is not a big deal. plus you can always move back to the cities.. but you wont.

Can you try it out by staying down there for a few days before making the decision? Some roads are worse than others for traffic and conjestion so the drive may not be that bad.