• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SE Trout streams-hoppers?

Bdog

I have fished SE MN streams many times over the years, but only in April,May, or June. Never in late summer, early fall. Just wondering how well hopper flies work in late summer in this area? Other early fall hatches? Any help appreciated!

Yes, hoppers work very well from now until the end, especially in areas surrounded by meadows, pastures or along roads. I personally prefer smaller hoppers, mainly because they seem to spook less fish. You can also use a two-fly, hopper-dropper presentation. Tie a smaller size 16-ish nymph 12-18" behind the hopper. Try a pheasant tail, hares ear or brassie.

Terrestrials are a blast!!! I agree, they work best on streams surrounded by high grass. I would bring a lot of them. Mine always get all mangled by fish and I end up running low by the end of the day. That and I'm good for about three flies a day in the trees where I can't reach them.

Also, bring small and I mean SMALL BWOs or tricos (20-22). There was a pretty good trico hatch going while I was out on Friday. I needed at 12ft 6X leader to get the flies to land softly enough for the fish to hit them, but once I got them going, it was pretty fun.