• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Towing a Tube

Sandmannd

Question

Hey all,

I bought a ski tube off Craig's List as my girls are getting into boating and I want to have as much fun with them as possible. Anyway, I'm wondering how fast you go when pulling kids on these things? They are 12 years old. My boat will do 30 mph with five in the boat. Do you want to go that fast, or do you just plane it and then drop it back around 15 or 20 mph?

I didnt mean to be a shiznit but as a father you know your kids and their abilities better than anyone typing on a key board. Take it easy and have a good spotter with at all times. At 12 they will just enjoy the wind in their hair and time with dad.

I met a guy once, who blew out an ear drum going too fast on some sort of wakeboard/tube etc. He went flying across the surface, got turned sideways and the water hit the side of his head wrong, and pop. Don't go too fast.

You know with all the other sports/activities that require helmets why is it that you never see a tuber wear a helmet? There are times you are hitting the water at 25 mph, even more if you fall off when the tube is on the outside of the wake during a turn. Seems like it might not be a bad idea especially for the little ones.

My kids are 9 and 10. The 10 year old is getting brave and likes being beat up a little...but the younger one wants to stay inside the boat wake. I started them both tubing at about 4 years old by tying the tube only about 20 feet back and going slow.....and we just worked our way up from there. Thumbs up means faster and down means slower. Let them tell you how fast......to a limit. I would recommend keeping the tube in contact with the water at all times.

I didnt mean to be a shiznit but as a father you know your kids and their abilities better than anyone typing on a key board. Take it easy and have a good spotter with at all times. At 12 they will just enjoy the wind in their hair and time with dad.

No worries, I know where you are coming from. Problem is, I don't really know the kids abilities. Our twelve year old has only lived with us for eight months and my niece I haven't spent a ton of time with. We are kind of learning each other as we go. Also, since I never pulled anyting, just wanted to know the right way to go about it.

All great advice guys, I'll put everything I've learned here to use. Thanks guys for helping give my family a great and safe time.

I'm in the same boat(pun intended)as you were sillysand. My wife and daughter want to start tubing. Our first go at it will be this weekend at the cabin. Needless to say I was pleased to find this post. Very good advice everyone, thanks.