• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tax Forfeit land

FishingWebGuy

I haven't seen any posted land yet near the area we are planning to hunt this fall. Wanting to respect private land whether posted or not, I started looking at the county plat for the area.

With the exception of 3 40s which are clearly privately owned, we have primarily timber land and state land for a couple miles in each direction. We plan on only hunting in the state land and only using timber land for access (if at all). However I am also seeing a good amount of tax forfeit land around us. Just wondering how to treat that?

I imagine tax forfeit goes back to the county and is available for use if not posted? I'll probably call the county office to clarify also...

The regs seem to only discern between public and private land. To me public would be anything federal, state, or county owned, right?

You're good to go on forfeit lands!

Yup, that's what the county surveyor just confirmed for me.

Wow! that about doubles the available land. I'm guessing most of it is forfeited by the timber company? It would seem odd to me if that many private citizens forfeited their property.

Good question. I guess every parcel has its own story but I'm sure a lot of the Tax forfeited land is timber company land. Back in the day land wasn't that big of a deal and a lot of people got sick of paying taxes on it so they simply gave it up or they came on hard times and had to give it up. Depending on the area you might notice a lot of the tax forfeited land is land locked by privite land so unless you get access through a private party its impossible to get to.

Remember though while this is New land to you, it's likely not for many others. Scout it well in advance making note of where others may be hunting. You're right it's fair game and probably plenty of room for you too. But, you don't want to be the guy aimlessly wandering around on opening morning. That's for your own safety and to not unneccessarily disturb the hunts of others.

Check with the county which owns it first. In St Louis county, you need to have a permit to use tax forfeit land.

You don't need any special permit to hunt on St. Louis County tax forfeited land. You just need to abide by all State and local ordinances.

Ive been hunting tax forfeited land for a while (with no permit) so I was surprised to read it when I was checking out the land department HSOforum last week. Ive even got the St Louis County plat maps...

But today, for the life of me, I cant seem to find the part where I read it...guess it proabably isnt true - thanks for making me double check.

Prior post deleted...