• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

522 keeps shutting down

ripstick

Question

7 answers to this question

When I posted this same problem most people responded that my starting battery was weak. I did observe that if I turned down the screen lighting before starting the motor that it would stay on and not have to restart. Maybe this will work for you too.

When the engine is started it creates a large draw on the battery which pulls the voltage down below the minimum requirements to keep the graph on. A fully charged battery won't drop below this threshold, but one that is weak may allow that to happen during start-up. A new battery would help or connecting the graph to a different battery would work too, but personally I prefer that the trolling motor batteries are used for the trolling motor only.

I would check the battery to make sure it's full of water and the connections are good. Then I'd put it on a charger to make sure it's fully charged. Boat engines will maintain a battery voltage but won't bring a battery to full charge while out on the water. Putting a charge on battery when you get home is especially important for deep cycles because the boat engine won't do the job regardless if you run around the lake WOT for miles and miles.

I agree, it's most likely due to voltage drop in your starting battery from turning over your outboard motor. I'd make sure your battery is fully charged, then get it load tested for a gauge of how strong the battery is.

LMITOUT is right, it's very important to maintain your starting battery with a charger to keep it at full charge all the time.

My 522c did the same thing as you described on Tuesday evening. It was the first time it has even done that. I guessed it was due to the starting battery being low on juice. I had the livewell and depthfinder on for about 3 hours without starting the motor. Then it was time to go and the motor started and the graph shut down. I am sure I can charge the battery back up and it will be fine.

Time for a new battery is likely very near, most graphs shut down if spiked below 10 V. The amp draw from the starter is bouncing it below 10 V and shutting the unit down.

You may also want to monitor the voltage by turning on the battery alarm on the unit and set it at 11.1 volts, this will give you warning if it is weak.

Well a lot of top ideas which sorta worked. After going through the wireing, connections and chargeing the batt. Ed carlson gets the grand prize.Brought the battery in this am and found out it was shot. Less than a year old they were happy to replace it. Now it all comes together. Thanks eveyone for your ideas.