Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Urban

Fancy Camera? Your Secret Spot is in Jeapordy!

13 posts in this topic

Just as a heads up, us technologically inclined fishermen using fancy cameras have failed to notice that cutting edge technology allowes GPS information to be imbedded in a photo file, this could put you within feet of the location where the picture was taken, when entering the coordinates into a GPS unit. This could put ANYONE within feet of where you picture was taken.

If you've recently purchased a fancy camera, take a moment to make sure you disable, or remove imbedded GPS data that could possibly giving your fishing location away.

For the common good...

Wouldn't that camera need to also be a GPS unit then too? smile That is fancier than my cameras! ha!

huh ohh well like anything take the pics at a known bad spot and it will make you look good and the lurkers stupid..

A lot of phone pics already do this. Good thing to be aware of wink

Looks like the secret is out of the bag. wink

It's called geotagging and yes, some phones equipped with GPS can do this if the option is enabled.

If you're a Twitter user some Twitter applications for smart phones will attach your location to where you published the last tweet....another thing to be aware of just in case you like to tweet about your last lunker while in the boat.

I have a Richo 500SE for work that is one of these fancy GPS digital cameras. It sells for $1,700+. I think Nikon makes one to that is only $450 - $500. They aren't all that common and I don't think they are regularly used by those taking pictures for recreational purposes.

Thanks for the info. I'll "tweet" from the shores of lake Rewood and good luck!

You would have to be hard up to go through all that to catch a fish. You would think that if someone would be smart enough to do all that, someone would be smart enough to find fish on there own.

Take the picture when your off the lake. Like at the boat ramp.

hard to do when you CPR