• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trophy Rock?

Hi all.

Just wondering if anybody out there has tried these yet for deer. I was reading some reviews on them and the reviews were excellent. I would go with the home made mineral mix but I can not find all the ingredients up here and don't plan to make a trip down south anytine soon. looking for thoughts.

Thanks.

for what you are getting, i think they are a rip-off. i'd suggest a homemade mineral blend, but like you said, you may not be able to get all of the minerals you want.

are you looking to draw deer in with, or give them something to make their "bones" grow? either way, i'd try finding trace mixin salt, and calcium. both at FF. simple, cheap, and effective! mix them up, and dump on the ground.

for what you are getting, i think they are a rip-off. i'd suggest a homemade mineral blend, but like you said, you may not be able to get all of the minerals you want.

are you looking to draw deer in with, or give them something to make their "bones" grow? either way, i'd try finding trace mixin salt, and calcium. both at FF. simple, cheap, and effective! mix them up, and dump on the ground.

Yup, Fleet Farm anywhere would have all the stuff you need to make your own 'homemade version'. Just came back from replenishing my last weekend. Started with 3' x 3' wide, 6 inches deep. It's now a little over 5 feet and a feet plus deep. All 4 spots was almost exactly the same. Some just wasn't that deep, but still have visitors. This only after 3 weeks.

Save your money!!! I had bought two last year, put them out around this time last year and they are still there. They are a bit smaller but not from deer, just weather. I agree with the homemade mix!!!

I would go with the homemade but the nearest FF is a 5 hr drive for me and I don't have the time to make the drive right now. We are near the end of building our house right now. The main reason I thought of these is to have someting for the deer in front of the trail cams. The reviews I read seemed quite promising. Next spring I plan to put out the homemade mix. Thanks for the replies.

Ive had AWESOME results with it. i check my camera every two weeks and usually have over 300 pics. Its been nice because Ive been able to watch a number of bucks grow from nubs all the way up on almost a day to day basis. They work, everyone I know thats had one hasnt been disappointed.

if you don't have the time or resources to make your own, then i guess i'd buy one. since i'm guessing they are in supply around ya.

homemade is just much cheaper, and you get 10X the amount. the minerals are similar from homemade to trophy rock, but you can adjust minerals in the homemade blend

Here you go Fins. This is what the others are talking about.

I purchased all if the ingredients at Fleet Farm but you can go to Co-ops as well.

• 1 part Di-calcium phoshate, this is a diary feed additive bought at feed stores

Comes in 50lb bags – you need 1 bag

• 2 parts Trace Mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications

Comes in 50lb bags – you need 2 bags

• 1 part Stock Salt, ice cream salt

Comes in 50lb bags – you need 1 bag

Directions:

- Use a 3 pound or simular size coffee can to use as you measure for each part of the mix

- Mix all together well but not until you are ready to use, keep ingrediants separate until then

- Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep

- Mix your minerals with the soil

I personally have used this for 3 years now and you can't beat it for the price. I have some old stumps that I poured it on and the stumps are almost gone. Hey there is an idea for stump removal-hence my Avitar pic

ya, but the calcium is the only ingredient of nutritional value. The salts just get the deer to eat the calcium.

And the molasses could be considered bait if left out over hunting season.

The dry molasses i've seen in the store are in a powder form. Is that still consider bait?

Almost any kind of mineral will work to bring deer in. If they need it they will find it and eat it. If they are getting the stuff that is in the trophy rock somewhere else it wont work. The best time to put it out is in the spring when they really start growing. If you do put it out put it right next to a well used trail so they find it easily.