• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time Bear Hunting-Any Help?

I have a bear I have seen a few times down by the river I live on. I was going to set up a bait station in August. Wondering if anyone has any pics? I already have a gas station lined up that is giving me all the day old doughnuts. Any help would be great, I am an avid hunter and trapper just never had the chance to try for a bear.

Thx

Jake

You can go either way. If you have alot of racoons or other critters in the area, I would build a box out of logs and place heavy ones on top. This will keep other critters away from your bait. The bears will have no problem removing the logs. We take thinner long logs and place them on the side and behind the bait box. This will force the bears to approach from the front. You want the bears to present a good shot. It sounds like you have your bait supply hooked up. I would say the only thing you will need is something to attract them. Something sweet smelling usually works. Vannila, maple syrup, liquid smoke, or anything you can think of. I personally use old oil and bacon. They can't resist it. Get the scent up into the trees and let the wind do all the work.

Also, a good way to determine how big the bears that are hitting your bait station ares, is to use bigger and heavier logs. I usually do this when i have more then one bait station getting hit and i don't have enough trail cams to place at all of them. This is how i usually determine which bait station to focus on and hunt on opener.

Just remember, before placing a bait station, determine where you are going to place your treestand first.

hey jake, a few things to think about, When i start a bait site I like to start with using those smoking scent sticks in anis an berry flavors, the smoke travels far an sticks to vegitation leading the bear back to the site, what nik suggest also works as well. When baiting, alway do the same thing each time ya go in, the same routine keeps the bear comfortable, I usually pull as close to the site as possible with my three wheeler, grab my bucket an bang againts trees or together with anther bucket, this routine rings the dinner bell an tells the bear it's time to eat. While at the site, I spry down with mosquito spray use the same spray evertime an dont switch. If you dont do this, an you climb into stand to hunt an spray down for the first time or use a diffent spray, the bear will know something is different an they dont like anything different in the routine, Same with opening a site with scent, dont switch up in the middle of the game if the first is working dont try an fix it, the only time I switch scent in the middle of the game is when a bear is late to the site an I need to try an coax him in earlier. Some people hang a rag in a tree an spray the rag every time. I dont worry aabout being scent free when baiting. I leave straight from work an bait, I want the bear to associate my scent with food, dont bring in anyone to the site to help unless he starts with you, this can be very usefull when hunting an educated bear cause then you can use two people in to bait, one climbs into stand an one leaves, the bear is triked into thinking all is clear an comes to feed, bear have exceptional hearing an know when ya leave the site. I like to have an extra stand at the ready in case he figures out something is up with the first one. With that two guys are in stand an the fisrt one leaves the stand 30-45 mnts early an mr.s bear sauntersn in to eat, this is'nt alway the case an every bear is different, Many other tricks to try. But keep things in a constant routine. These are just my opinions an what works for me. Good luck an keep us update an your progress, Boar

The tips you all share are great!!!! This will be my first year bear hunting as well. My parents live up by Mille Lacs and has had a bumper crop of berries the past couple years. Unfortunatley for them, they are right in the front yard bringing the bear(s) close enough to get her dogs all jacked up. I like the different ideas you have for the bait, grease trails and the honey burns. My boss had a lot of luck with burns as well. Has anyone had any success calling them in with predetor calls? Thank you and good luck to all of you this year.