• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Towing with an F250

I just picked up a 2009 F250 w/ the 5.4 Triton. I tow a Ranger Reata 1850VS. My question for those in the know is......how should I tow? By that I mean.......should I turn on the tow/haul, keep it in D, drop it into 3, should I do something different when on the freeway vs. city driving?

I just want to do whatever is the best for the engine, but try and get the best gas milage I can(if there is such a thing eek).

Thanks, Matt

I pull my reata with my wifes' sequoia as if nothing is behind me. Granted this is only a few times a year, with my primary hauler a 3/4 ton dirtymax. "Boat, what boat? Oh, yeah, I forgot it was back there." Those boats are pretty light, considering, and really don't take on much wind.

What tow/haul does is delay shifting slightly so that your RPMs will be a bit higher to better handle heavy loads. Lets just say the shift strategy is a little different, but all the gears are still used.

In addition, and what I find most useful, is that tow/haul will use engine braking to help you control speeds on downhills. It will prevent upshifting as gravity pulls you downhill faster, and will even downshift if you hit the brake a few times. On long downhill grades, using cruise control along with tow/haul can do a great job of holding your speed.

But you can use it, or not use it, any time and any way you like. Use it a little and you will get used to what it does, and then just use it whenever you think appropriate. Whether it will save fuel depends on a lot of factors, and there is no one answer.