Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finnbay

Things for a Minnesota boy to do in Chicago

9 posts in this topic

Visited my daughter in Chicago this past week, and you know what they say - you can take the boy out of the country, but.....

Took mostly tourist pix, but you can kind of get an idea of how the trip went:

We ate at fine restaurants:

fine-rest.jpg

Watched local wildlife:

C-wildlife-1.jpg

C-wildlife-2.jpg

c-wildlife-3.jpg

fished in a local stream:

c-fishing.jpg

took long walks in the park:

c-walk-in-the-park.jpg

watched some local boys take on a "nine" from down the road:

c-boys-playing.jpg

had a little back yard barbecue:

c-picnic.jpg

and did a little sight-seeing from the top of a local hill:

Chicago-Panorama.jpg

All in all, had a GREAT trip!

Nice stuff, buddy. LOVE the combination of face sharpness and motion blur on that cat! smilesmile

I like this series Ken, it brings back some very fond memories when I used to attend sport shows in the "Windy" City!

I had a fun little adventure with you. Second the kudos on the cat picture! That's my favorite.

Looks like a great time. I will be down in Chi Town on the weekend of September 19th to the 21st. Getting pretty excited to head down there and see my baby completed. You wouldn't happen to have any more shots of Trump Tower would you Ken?

I spent 3 years of my life designing and coordinating the installation of the exterior wall panels on the new tower.

Tom, here's a few that I took:

TT1.jpg

TT2.jpg

This is the office building my daughter works in, with the Trump Tower reflected on its side:

TT3.jpg

Awesome stuff Ken. That building has a big part of my life wrapped up in it. I stood in that exact same spot (3rd pic) shooting photos of daily progress on the tower.

The bottom 12 floors of the tower are the parking garage, can you believe they were asking $75,000 to buy a non-heated parking stall with the purchase of a condo? Heated stalls went as high as $200,000.

I designed a door that sits atop the tower that consisted of two leafs 10 feet wide by 22 feet tall that opened to reveal the track for the window washing mechanism. I couldn't find a standard hinge for a 2.5 ton door leaf, so I drew up a custom jobby and the structural engineers ran all the calcs. It was a beast.

Lots of memories on that project. Every time I see it, I get a rush of enthusiasm.

Thanks for posting them up.

I was out there this spring. The Trump tower is pretty cool. Chicago is a fun town.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Bummer. Battling a cough/cold here and the snooze alarm won this morning.  Hopefully I'll get out later this week.
    •   I use them and they seem to work fine. I guess with the poppin version I don't really walk them, I just work them in the holes and around other Bassy looking cover. I don't work them real fast. My guess is you would probably want to use the standard style for walking them.   Cret what versions did you test for walking, the standard styles or the poppin versions? 
    • Looked them up.   Personally they seem underpowered but it will depend on how much water you need to remove when you finally need that pump. The water powered pumps performance is based on water pressure. If you have 60+ psi then you can get 500-900 gpm and it looks like you will use 1 gallon of tap water for every 2 you pump out of the pit. For comparison I generally use 3/4 horse pumps at a minimum for the pumps which gives you something north of 3000 gph.   I'm not real sure if code and insurance even allow them so check first. If you have a small house and if the sump doesn't get used much it might be an option.
    • Just returned home last night. Had 3 Jake's come in at 7am on my 1st morning and decided to pass on them. Never saw or heard a Tom the next 5 days. Oh well maybe I learned a lesson. Good luck to all.  
    • Never saw a water driven pump. The ones I use and know if are the battery backup kind. They are sold at all if the big box stores and are around $300 I believe. They run off of an automotive type battery that has a trickle charger attached to it to maintain the charge. You have as much backup power as your battery has capacity and then that pump is dead as well so it's a short term solution.having a generator is very helpful as part of the backup plan.
    • I missed one last night.   Shot a 3D archery shoot yesterday and did really well.  From there straight to my blind for an evening hunt.  Big tom came in to 32 yards. I ranged him, dialed in my sight and slid one just passed him. That's as far as I've ever shot with my bow but was feeling pretty confident after shooting all day. Oh well.   Sitting in another spot right now and as of 6:30 have not yet heard a peep.  Can't sit long today, dang work always getting in the way of my fun.
    • I have been meaning to try to stick a yote too whenever I was out I hoped one would show up instead of a turkey.
    • should have set up in the grass! Uncle went back for evening set up at a pinch point hen and tom came through to go back to roost but no shot!
    • Beside the fun of fooling a turkey and sticking it witj my bow,this is why I love turkey hunting. Slow smoked with apple on the pellet smoker. 
    • Does anyone have a water driven backup sump pump? They look like the cats meow if you live in town. Or does code even allow them? If they are not allowed what is the best battery backup ones?
  • Our Sponsors