Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coach1310

Anyone going to the PGA?

20 posts in this topic

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone is going to the PGA Championship in a couple weeks at Hazeltine? Or anyone who has been before? Any tips.... good spots to view multiple shots... what to bring.... etc. etc... Getting excited to see the superstars up close!

Not sure what days I'll be going yet but more than likely Saturday and maybe another day also. I'm not a grandstand guy at all. If you are, getting there as EARLY as they will allow will be key to possibly getting a good seat.

I'm pretty tall and mobile so I like to move around a lot and pick my spots for short periods. A quality pair of shoes is a must. I just picked up a pair of New Balances and I'm in the process of breaking those in as we speak.

Here's a couple links for spectators and some useful tips!

http://us-pga-championship.com/spectator-guide.html

http://www.mspmag.com/pga/default.asp

Just a quick question for anyone out their, is this something that I can still get tickets to and where do I purchase them. Can I call a number and get a couple of tickets for me and the wife or are they sold out. We are looking at just a day trip if at all possible, would like saturday or sunday, we both work all week. Thanks in advance for the help....

My wife got two tickets for saturday, so we are going to be there all day. (at least I am)

I am more than tall enough to see over most crowds, and my wife isn't that tall so it will be interesting as to where we will be. My plan on that day is to head to a hole and then start jumping around watching different people play. I will watch Tiger for a couple holes, but will be it for me

I work right across the lake so I can take a peek every now and then with some binoculars.

My employer is giving out some tix this week so maybe I'll get to go.

Just a quick question for anyone out their, is this something that I can still get tickets to and where do I purchase them. Can I call a number and get a couple of tickets for me and the wife or are they sold out. We are looking at just a day trip if at all possible, would like saturday or sunday, we both work all week. Thanks in advance for the help....

Craig's List is a good option for tickets you'll find brokers and the average Joe types who have extra tickets from employers or customers trying to dump them.

If you can't locate any tickets through brokers or that on-line site mentioned above you can ALWAYS pick up tickets at the event itself. Now there will be some Scalpers that may try to get a crazy price but there will be guys with extra tickets just trying to dump them quick at an affordable price.

Good Luck I'll keep an Eye out for anything that looks good!

I have 2 tickets for the Monday practice round. Has anyone ever gone to a practice round? Is it worth the time? What can I expect?

Quote:
I have 2 tickets for the Monday practice round. Has anyone ever gone to a practice round? Is it worth the time? What can I expect?

Actually practice days are good. You can bring in cameras and ask for autographs. Most guys are more than willing to give autographs but you will want to catch them right away in the walkways between holes. I mention this because by the time they get to the middle of the walkway they usually have signed many autographs and have to get moving to the next tee. After Wednesday cameras are not allowed and you should not ask for autographs anymore. I would not leave home without a good camera and a Sharpie.

I'll be there on Sunday for the final round with my wife and another couple.

My wife and I were thinking of volunteering for the event, but who knew that you have to actually PAY to be a volunteer? Like $120 or something. That threw me for a loop when I saw that. I think they need to drop "Volunteer" out of the job description.

Don't forget all kids under 17 get in free for the entire event with an adult who has a ticket.

So one could show up with a youth of your choice buy a ticket on site and watch some awesome golf!

I'll be there Thursday and Sunday for sure. Hoping to sneak in a practice round too. It will be neat to see what goes on behind the scenes with caddies and players etc.

I get to go on saturday, first time ever to go to something like this hope it is fun. Also have a chance to go all week to practice rounds (hope it rains). It will be fun to see the pros play in person.

I'll be there on Monday for the practice round. Does anyone know if there is a schedule of practice times posted anywhere? I figure I'll just show up and see who I can see.

I'll bring the sharpie and a camera, thanks for the tip.

We went the last time it was here and almost froze to death. I think we were there like at 7:00 in the morning and of course had to wait in line. The weather took a quick, drastic turn early in the morning and it got really cold and windy.

Then there was some kind of SNAFU and the gates didn't open when they were supposed to, people were huddled together in groups to try to stay warm and not lose their place in line. When the gates finally did open, there was a mad rush to the tent that sold sweatshirts and coats and such. I bet they did record setting business in that first hour!

The day turned out alright, the golfing was great, got up close with Woods, Mickelson, and some of the others. I think VJ and Love also? Watched Daly take something like an eleven on one of the holes by the lake.

On the same hole, while others were laying up, watched Mickleson shape one right around the corner to the right, it was pretty cool being there.

Went to watch practice today. Pretty cool to be that up close with the big boys. TV definitely makes them look different in my opinion. Tiger didn't play, but he hit on the range for a while. I wish he could be a little more gracious to the fans. There were throngs following him from the range to the clubhouse, cheering, yelling his name etc..... he couldn't even muster a wave or a smile. I'll be there in the morning. She's gonna be a WARM one!

I am pretty sure that if you had 10's of thousands of people all wanting a piece of you during a quarterly review at work all cheering and wanting a picture or autograph, you would turn a deaf ear to them as well.....

I can't wait for Saturday, my wife is starting to realize how long our day might be and I think she will be leaving the course earlier than I will.

I plan on wearing my green and white Lucky Charms hat tomorrow at the PGA. I will stand out in the crowd since I am standing over the crowd. If you're out there, keep your eyes peeled for a big dude in a Lucky Charms hat and introduce yourself....I doubt my wife will make it past lunch, so I should be solo except for a beer in my hand.

I am pretty sure that if you had 10's of thousands of people all wanting a piece of you during a quarterly review at work all cheering and wanting a picture or autograph, you would turn a deaf ear to them as well.....

I understand your point. I don't expect him to sit and sign autographs all day and to be honest I can't imagine what it is like. However, the fans are the reason Tiger is what he is. Sure, without him he would still be the best golfer in the world, but without the fans you wouldn't have as big of purses in tournaments or near the advertising and sponsorship dollars he gets. The bottom line for me is..... it was a practice day.... he was walking from the range to the clubhouse.... all I'm asking for is an acknowlegement of somekind for all those people who worship him.

I was at the PGA yesterday. It is truly unbelievable how good these guys are. How effortless they make it look to hit the shots they do. It was fun to watch all the little things you don't see on TV.... like the players having a normal conversation amongst each other(it is rare, but it does happen). The caddies always at work. How the elements changes from morning to afternoon.... for the golf fan, attending a PGA event is a MUST. I know it may be more action packed on TV, but the true experience of being there can't be realized unless you go!!!