• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Waterfowl Shotgun?

Last year Gander ( I think) was selling a Youth Shotgun single shot with a .410 and 20G barrel for $90.00. any idea where I could find a deal like this year?

This will be my daughters first year hunting! Safty classes start in August and she is very EXCITED!

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest a Remington SPR100 single shot in 20 gauge. Good solid gun for $100. No hammer and the safety is like other Remingtons so the youngster will be used to it when they move up to a bigger gun.

Thanks for the info Bowfin. I checked Gander last week but didn't see anything in a Youth shotgun?

Anybody know who is selling these this year? (SRP 100 youth Single shot)

I'll start calling around for this gun, it sounds like the perfect gun for a beginner.

Thanks again Bowfin.

I bought a NEF 20ga/243 combo for my kid a couple years ago and the 243 is tack driver but the 20ga has got heavy recoil so I would suggest the youth 870 also my son doesnt like the recoil and I even put a recoil pad on it. and it still packs a good wolup so but he didnt have the reach for my old springfield 20 until this year so I modified the stock and he loves it. now my other so who is ten shot the NEF 20ga and after three shots with trap load said it kicks to much so he will probally be shootinga youth 870

Mossberg 500 youth combo in 20gauge comes with the vent rib barrel and the rifled sabot barrel for around $230 one gun for upland, grouse, waterfowl and deer. A single shot is cheaper but will she want something different for next year?

I chose the Remington SPR 100 for my son to hunt with when he was 9 and 10. I bought it a couple years ago from Gander for around $100. I wanted him to get used to having 1 shot, a regular safety (no hammer)in a youth sized gun which fit him. This year at age 11 he is ready to move on to a full sized pump. Not sure if Gander still sells these or not. See HSOforum below.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/SPR100_single_shot.asp

Bought my kid an 870 20 ga. pump when he was 8 and hes done fine with every year. Hes 11 now and most likely will move him up to a full size 12 ga for next year. He can swat geese with the 20 ga at close range, but it just cant compare to a 12 with 3.5".

heres him at 8

fg1.jpg

and 9

g1.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I have been to Gander in Blaine they didn't have much to choose from, Capras had a 500 Bantam in the low $200. Any other places I should try ... Cabelas?...?

Nice pics SledNeck!

Again thanks for all the info,

This will all be compiled for a weekend shopping trip.