• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where can I catch some Good Sized Northerns?

JewellOutdoors

Jewell - I just saw that no one has posted so I will chime in. Not familier with Red Wing but in the south Metro Area I would say Orchard Lake in Lakeville has some nice sized northerns - I've consistently caught high 20 low 30 incher's. Of course Minnetonka has all that and more but from Red Wing it is a bit of a haul. Have you tried posting your question in the "area" boards - not sure if there is one for Red Wing or not but I'm sure there is one that will get you close. I hope this helps and good luck. Paul

Whatever lake in that described area that does not

allow winter spearing.

You might want to get your facts straight.

17 thousand darkhouse spearers, allowed to fish 1/6th the hours DO NOT take more large northern pike than the 1.4 million anglers allowed to angle 24/7 365 days a year.

It just does not happen.

Darkhouse spearing would have to be 600% more effective than angling for that myth to be true.

We are all sportsmen, and as such we should support each other’s legal means of enjoying the resource.

There are many out there just waiting for us to tear ourselves apart, please don’t play into their hands.

Practicing, promoting, and teaching catch and release and look and release, rather than tearing down angling or darkhouse spearing, is the way to reduce the number of large pike taken.

Let’s keep it positive and find ways that we can all enjoy our wonderful resource well into the future.

We CAN work together to make it a reality.

The future of both our sports depends on it.

Thank You

Have a customer that is looking to fish for some decent sized northerns within an hour or so of Red Wing next month. Any suggestions on locations?

I believe there are 2 keys to finding a good lake with decent sized northerns.

1) Research

2) And the biggest --> Go where others don't <--

Go to the MnDNR Lake finder and do the research on small overlooked lakes around that area.

Find one that has been stocked 3-5 years ago.

Stocking fish provides great forage for northern pike.

Check out the trapping, netting, and electrofishing reports (don't take these as gospel but gleam some info off them)

Check out the lake maps to get some ideas of where the fish will be. Then fine tune those spots when you get out on the water.

Talk to locals around the lake.

Cruise the boat landings and see how people are doing.

There are many many overlooked lakes in Minnesota full of nice sized northern and bass, just because someone does not fish it does not mean there aren't any fish in it.

Good Luck

talk them into a trip to Upper Red Lake. Trophy Pike (40+ is not uncommon).

I've heard Square lake north of stillwater is good. They fatten up on the trout.

There are so many good muskie lakes around, seems to me that would be a better way to go.

Originally Posted By: out_fisherman

allow winter spearing.

You might want to get your facts straight.

17 thousand darkhouse spearers, allowed to fish 1/6th the hours DO NOT take more large northern pike than the 1.4 million anglers allowed to angle 24/7 365 days a year.

It just does not happen.

Darkhouse spearing would have to be 600% more effective than angling for that myth to be true.

We are all sportsmen, and as such we should support each other’s legal means of enjoying the resource.

There are many out there just waiting for us to tear ourselves apart, please don’t play into their hands.

Practicing, promoting, and teaching catch and release and look and release, rather than tearing down angling or darkhouse spearing, is the way to reduce the number of large pike taken.

Let’s keep it positive and find ways that we can all enjoy our wonderful resource well into the future.

We CAN work together to make it a reality.

The future of both our sports depends on it.

Thank You

Perhaps you need to get YOUR "facts straight".

As I recall, they close the season at some point, even for anglers. If any of us are fishing 365 on inland lakes, we're doing it illegally.

Perhaps you need to get YOUR "facts straight".

As I recall, they close the season at some point, even for anglers. If any of us are fishing 365 on inland lakes, we're doing it illegally.

Yes you can legally angle 365 days a year on Minnesota lakes... even inland lakes.

Even though the season for one species of fish may be closed and you can’t target them, it doesn’t mean they aren't caught. I am pretty sure no one told the fish they couldn't bite when their season is closed.

P.S.

Sorry this tread was hijacked by an anti-darkhouse spearing post.

Hopefully we can get it back on topic now.

"P.S. Sorry this tread was hijacked by an anti-darkhouse spearing post.Hopefully we can get it back on topic now."

I'm not sure I read out_fisherman's post as a anti-darkhouse rant. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm not trying to put words in his mouth but what came to my mind when I read his post was it was his belief that lakes with spearing restrictions mainly because of a protected slot tend to hold bigger fish. I can see the logic in that. No, I don't have any facts to support that arguement, I just seems logical.

Back to the thread subject. Near Redwing, I'm not sure, I would look into Lake Pepin. I always look at it this way, most of the time the bigger the lake, the better chance of catching the bigger fish. East Metro I would recommend White Bear or Big Carnelian.

allow winter spearing.

Sorry Merkman, but this is good advice supplied by out-fisherman. It is really quite simple. A lake that has angling AND spearing harvest has more harvest than a lake that only has angling harvest. Angling harvest is greater than spearing harvest, but the two added together is less than just one by itself.

It is too bad that if the question arose in the winter, "Where can I go to spear some large pike?" that we cannot offer similar advice, "Whatever lake in that described area that does not allow angling."

I don't know lakes in the area asked about, but I'd try the rivers this time of year. Good Luck!

I'm not sure I read out_fisherman's post as a anti-darkhouse rant. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm not trying to put words in his mouth but what came to my mind when I read his post was it was his belief that lakes with spearing restrictions mainly because of a protected slot tend to hold bigger fish. I can see the logic in that.

Originally Posted By: out_fisherman

allow winter spearing.

Sorry Merkman, but this is good advice supplied by out-fisherman. It is really quite simple. A lake that has angling AND spearing harvest has more harvest than a lake that only has angling harvest. Angling harvest is greater than spearing harvest, but the two added together is less than just one by itself.

You are right.

With that in mind I would suggest Cabella's or the Mall of America's fish tanks.

Not much angling or spearing presure in either of those places. grin

Have a customer that is looking to fish for some decent sized northerns within an hour or so of Red Wing next month. Any suggestions on locations?
I'd hit the river and fish the backwater areas near Wabasha and work them with spinner baits, Off main channel areas with wood or weed cover should hold decent sized fish. Or you could fish around the marinas and back water areas of Redwing. Good fishing right in the Redwing area. Not a numbers game but the quality of fish tends to be good with the added bonus of smallies, walleye, channel cats, whitebass and slab crappies all within easy reach. Just a thought.

Tunrevir~

One quick note on Orchard Lake...yes there are bigger sized northerns in there; however, your chances of catching Tiger Muskies are better. Not sure if you are looking to catch a nice size northern and eat it, but if not, and just looking for the thrill of the pole bending...the Tigers in Orchard will keep you busy!

I honestly would look to Lake Marion (Lakeville) for nice size eaters if that is what you are looking for. I use tip ups in early ice on this lake, and have never been disappointed.

Good Luck!

For a reasonably good chance at a large (greater than 36"?) pike I would look for a few things to come together. First, look for a large, deep body of water connected to marshy areas, classic pike water. Second, check the DNR site to see if there is a good tulibee population which is a food source for large pike and again, a good indicator of the right kind of water. Third, try for a body of water that does not get a lot of pressure. Pike are rather stupid and reactionary and over the years many of the large fish have been pulled from lakes because of that characteristic.

The posts above regarding the river are also excellent as there is just not as much pressure in that type of water.

Good things to look for when looking for big pike.

One key factor is cool water with the forage base mentioned.

Two lakes I always visit when I need the big pike fix are Gull and Mille Lacs.

Both of these lake have consistantly dilivered big fish on every trip taken. Gulls fishable population has gone down a bit but still produces well in the fall and Mille Lacs has given up fish over 40" every week of the year it seems.

good luck.