Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blue_healer_guy

$500 unit

15 posts in this topic

Guys, looking to upgrade into this range on a depth finder. Currently have a Lowrance 097, but hearing great reviews on Hummingbirds, I have a chip also. Any reccomendations?

What chip is it? If it's a Lake Master chip you will need a newer unit, or software upgrade for a bird.

I would look at getting a bird if I were now in the market.

If you want to use your Lakemaster card in your new unit, your only options are Lowrance or Eagle.

The Lowrance HDS-5 is $630 and the Eagle FishElite and SeaCharter 640c and 642c are right around $500. I've been using an HDS on my boat all year and am really happy with it, no problems or issues and I like it more and more each time I use it. Eagles are good units, you tend to get a lot of value for your $$$ with Eagle.

Humminbirds are great units too. They don't take Lakemaster cards yet but they've announced that Lakemaster cards will work in Humminbird units next year. But you'd probably need to buy a HB version of the LM card --- your Lowrance LM card will probably never work in HB unit (same way the Garmin and Lowrance LM cards won't work in each other's units now).

HB has three units in your price range, they're all good units and we have them on sale now (until the end of July) so that brings the prices down even more. The 788c is a really nice unit, large screen and great resolution --- normally $600 but on sale for $550 for a few more days. After that there is the 597c, a little smaller screen and a few less pixels, normally $580 but on sale for $520. Another option is the 587c, same size screen as the 597c but a few less pixels in the display -- that unit is normally $480 but is on sale for $430.

One option you might like that would keep you right around $500 would be getting the HB 587c and a Navionics Map Card for it, and selling your LakeMaster card --- that would give you a HB unit with new mapping and keep you in your price range .... and you'd have the option of getting a LM card for it next year.

If you want, you can check out all these units and our pricing at Combo Units at Pro Fishing Supply.

HB has three units in your price range, they're all good units and we have them on sale now (until the end of July) so that brings the prices down even more. The 788c is a really nice unit, large screen and great resolution --- normally $600 but on sale for $550 for a few more days. After that there is the 597c, a little smaller screen and a few less pixels, normally $580 but on sale for $520. Another option is the 587c, same size screen as the 597c but a few less pixels in the display -- that unit is normally $480 but is on sale for $430.

One option you might like that would keep you right around $500 would be getting the HB 587c and a Navionics Map Card for it, and selling your LakeMaster card --- that would give you a HB unit with new mapping and keep you in your price range .... and you'd have the option of getting a LM card for it next year.

Bird would be my #1 choice as we sit here today! I just think it's the safe bet to have a good sonar that actually works and if something does go wrong you'll be able to get it fixed under warranty. Of course we can't say the same thing about Lowrance's customer service.

Number #2 would be a Lowrance 520/522 and hope it works like mine does... still a bit of a c r a p shoot. But your LM chip will work. Downside is Lowrance's customer service issues if something goes astray!

First choice 788 C or Ci, second would be 787 C. Great bang for the buck units, especially the 788 C / Ci.

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up ordering a 788ci from perchjerker here off the site. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up ordering a 788ci from perchjerker here off the site. Looking forward to it.

Sweet! Great choice smile

- WIWF

I was at Cabelas today. The Lowrance HD-5 is $649. If you want the fancy map it is $749. The HD-5x(no GPS)is $549 w/ the transducer. I looked at a really cool hummingbird with the side view but that was $899 on sale. I ended up buying last years lowrance LCX-27c from the bargain cave for $559 7" screen gps combo unit. I almost finished installing it today. Does anyone one on here know anything about it? It has a radar page? i havn't figured out how to work any of it yet just turned it on for a minute. I kinda figured this one will do just fine and if I bought the latest and greatest today it will be second best next year anyway.

You made a nice chocie in the unit and in the guy you ordered it from.

Sifty

Wise choice...you will love that unit. Some nifty updates soon to come out that will add even more kewl tools to it too...so be sure to register it on the Humm'r web site so you can take advantage of the New free software and updates.

Thanks guys, I just hope I will be able run it. Not electronic friendly here. The wife just found out about the purchase and just shrugged her shoulders, that's a good thing. Just had phone conversations with Perchjerker on the unit and I feel comfortable with his knowledge. Joe

Thanks guys, I just hope I will be able run it. Not electronic friendly here. The wife just found out about the purchase and just shrugged her shoulders, that's a good thing. Just had phone conversations with Perchjerker on the unit and I feel comfortable with his knowledge. Joe

My wife does the shoulder thing too, except it's the cold shoulder grin