• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

57+ ?

Not the first fish in the Star Trib recently with exaggerated lengths or weights. frown

This should be a fun discussion... "How to properly take a photo with a muskie and your sponsor product." wink

Once we hash that one out, its onto "How do you keep your muskie fresh if you livewell isn't big enough to hold it".

Good Times. smile

I dont know man...its so hard to tell from a pic. But he IS holding it ou a ways and when you compare it to his body height I would say he has 6 inches below the tail to his feet and maybe 10 inches from the fishes head to the top of his head. of course thats just a guestimate.

At 57 inches - its still 3 inches shy of 5 feet. So, if the guy goes say 6 feet 2 - that would be 74 inches.

The difference between 74 inches and 57 inches is 17 inches total. I could see that being a possibility. regardless its a nice fish - and judging by the girth of that fish I would put it at least in the low to mid 50s.

57 plus is one heck of a Muskie and VERY hard to reach that length but who knows...it might really be close?? Nice fish though!!!

Wonder where it was caught?

Nice fish, it's big no matter what numbers are quoted. As for handling, I don't fault him. He's a walleye guy and I'm just happy that he's not one of those walleye guys that kills any and all musky because they "eat his fish".

I would need his height and weight to venture a guess but for a non muskie angler I give him credit for release even if not optimal. Most folks are not prepared gear wize (look at the net) for a fish of this magnitude or mentally ready to not kill it. It might live, but a beauty regardless. 50# is enormous that thing is not 50# IMO.

Low to mid 40 lb fish not 50 lbs. Seen lots of 56 inchers that barely make 40 lbs. Could be 57 inches. Nice looking fish. If he gaffed it with that barbless gaff where it is shown on the fish that doen'st kill the fish. Up until the big nets came along that was an acceptable method for penning the fish while unhooking. Gaff in the lower jaw and pin against the boat and unhook them.

my first question is what walleye fisherman is going to have anything in the boat long enough to measure a fish like that, they all have 40" tapes and excited if they break the half way point on them. Also, not to take away from the catch, but think of how worn out that fish must have been from the length of time that 6 lb test would have brought it to the boat, it would just sit and let you take the hook out from exaustion.

Hopefully the fish lived through the ordeal and can put some more weight on.

That fish is up there maybe 55" or 56" possibly 57". I agree with the 40 lbs.

I always get a kick out of the guys that talk about line class records. I could care less if you caught it on 6lb test while Walleye fishing, get in line for that one. Saltwater is a different story but obviously this kid wasn't trying to catch a Muskie.

Nice fish for the kid none the less!

looks plenty big to me, just glad he let it go.

How about one of the smart folks on here figure out how long it is. Cant you assume a belt is an inch, or floor of boat to top of carpartment is ---- inches and then fisgure out the fish, roughly. To see if it is even close. The things head looks bigger than his.

Its kind of funny, no one is really believing it to be 57+. If he would have kept it and killed it, we would know the exact lenght but everyone would still be mad cause he killed it. If he took the pic on a tape on the bottom of that boat, he'd still get bad mouthed. Too bad a person in the boat didnt have something to measure it with in the pic.

Thats like 1 fish a year in the entire usa that is that big.

Not quite...there are MANY fish caught out east every year between the Ottawa and St. Lawrence and also Georgian bay that touch on 57+. Go read up on the 1,000 islands area and look at the pictures from the guide boats there, lots of upper 50's fish.

Originally Posted By: urban cowboy*
Thats like 1 fish a year in the entire usa that is that big.

Not quite...there are MANY fish caught out east every year between the Ottawa and St. Lawrence and also Georgian bay that touch on 57+. Go read up on the 1,000 islands area and look at the pictures from the guide boats there, lots of upper 50's fish.

You are correct.. but 57+...massive