Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gotem

Trim at WOT

4 posts in this topic

I have another tilt/trim question. Before when cruising at WOT, I could always trim my motor out as much as I want until it would start breaking loose and then I would trim it back down a bit. This weekend when I was out, it will now only trim out about half as much as I would like and won't trim any more at WOT. If I slow down or stop, I can trim it up all the way just fine. What would cause it to not trim further at WOT like it always has before? I'm only loosing about 2 mph off the top end, so it's not a huge deal. I'm just not sure what's going on and don't want something else to happen. It's a 1990 Johnson 90 hp. Thanks

Check the oil level. Sounds like the motor doesn't have fluid to reach top height under load. A worn pump, or worn rams can cause this. When you push it all the way out at WOT your are practically asking the T&T to "lift" your boat, and the unit might be worn enough not to be able to lift to the max.

Thanks, what is the proper way to check the oil level?

tilt to full up position and remove the fill plug (large straight slotted screw), fluid should be level with bottom of fill hole.