Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Daze Off

Pre-fishing Plans

I was thinking about some pre-fishing that I have to do for some up-coming events and got to wondering about how others go about their pre-fishing. Is there a strategy that you use for planning out your day to make the best use of your time? Do you hook fish or shake them off? How near or close to the tournament do you try to get on the water (depending upon off-limits rules)? In general, how do you go about pre-fishing?

I like to get out as much as I can. I dont hook fish the day before if I can prevent it... unless I need to see the size range. I always try not burn a spot, I think that it can be done pretty easily too. I also try and cover my bases as best possible.

You can win a tournament off one spot, but it's always better to have a handful.

I prefish A LOT ---- and I usually only spend enough time catching fish to get an idea of where they are and the size --- then I leave and go explore new areas or try other baits or techniques, looking for options and back-up plans.

If I'm fishing with my partners or my regular "prefishing guys" we usually don't catch a lot of fish when prefishing ---- but we cover a lot of water and check a lot of spots. Sometimes we find new things that help us, but most of the time we fish the old reliable spots and patterns in the tournaments.

If I'm prefishing with guys that want to get out and catch fish, then I do a mix of the old reliable spots and trying new spots. We may not fish the best spots or fish them for long, but we spend time in spots where I think we can catch fish.

I don't worry about setting the hook or shaking fish off. Depending on the spot I may get concerned about catching too many fish there too close to the tournament --- but mostly I worry that if I spend too much time on my best spots other guys will see me there and catch on to what I'm doing.

No such thing as too early or too much time on a lake. If its a larger lake, try to get info about where a lot of the tournaments are won and spend more time in there. I usually dont shake off until day before, or if I catch a good one and cast back into a spot and get bit.

I tend to disagree a little bit. For me, most the tourneys I fish are on lakes that I have prior experiences on. A couple trips the week before to see where fish are, or maybe more importantly where fish are not, is what I tend to do.

I think, from personal experience, it is possible to pre-fish too much. As crazy as it might sound, it is possible to have too many spots. You either spend the whole day behind the steering wheel running all your spots, or your always thinking to yourself that "that other spot is probably better". You are so consumed fishing memories that you overlook what the fish are doing on that day.

I prefer to check my normal spots, try some new stuff, and try to get a feel for what the fish are doing. I don't spend a lot of time on my beating up my best stuff. Once I have a general game plan, I will take that info to a similar lake, or a lake I like to fish and try catch the heck out of them to gain confidence in my plan. Bottom line is "The More You Fish The More You Will Catch." but I don't want to catch all the fish I need for the tourney. By going to a similar lake your not burning your fish, and your not sitting on spots giving info to your competition.

Most importantly, on tourney day trust your instincts and fish the fish that day.

I agree that its possible to have too many spots. But thats on the angler to know what ones to fish. Not the fact that you have a lot of spots.

Ditto to Cecil.

the more spots = the better you know the lake = the more options you have

It is up to the angler to know or guess what the fish are doing (based on seasonal and daily patterns including weather, biology, etc..)and then fish your spot works with those considerations in mind. Then adjust accordingly.

After every day or half day of pre-fishing I think of what my tournament day would consist of. If I find a new spot, I figure out where it would fit into my game plan. Do I start there? Do I start at that one spot then hit those docks since they are on the way then go to the spot I just found? Always trying to plan the day out. Things can change, but I think it's best to have a defined plan.

Daze,

For me it depends on the size of the event. If there's 40 boats on a 1200 acre lake, your first spot better be good. So, having lots of options is not a bad idea. If there's 15 boats or less, I like to keep my options open. Having 3 or 4 good areas are usually good enough for me for a smaller event.

One thing I like to do is to have at least one option for any direction wind. I like wind and have no problem fishing in it, but there are limits. So, I always like to evaluate that. Some areas might only be good with wind pouring into it, so keep that in mind as well.

I have no problem pre-fishing the day before. I don't try to shake fish off, but do limit myself to one bite in an area.