• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST SWEET CORN

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well PB picked some up from 46th and Minnehaha and had some last nite. You are correct, the 66th is a little bit more flavorable, but they both are close. Size wise they are the same, but I would say 2 different fields from Waverly.

Hopefully Bauers is ready soon as I plan on freezing some next weekend.

Has anyone had the corn from the 101 stand in Elk River yet. They have in the past been preety good, but slipped a little bit in the last couple of years.

In Bloomington? Did she go to the Matthys reunion?
NOPE! in richmond mn. it alternates every year. next year in bloomington. i would assume they went to that sides reunion. sorry it took this long to respond, i was out of town for work the last 2 days.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm going to experiment. I'll blanch some & cut off the cob, and I think I'll try just husking & freezing some too. Time will tell if that works!

According to 'Seal a meal', it's possible to vacuum-pack corn-on-the-cob if you first remove the husk and silk & wash well. Then blanch: small ears 6 to 8 minutes & large ears-9 to 11 minutes.

Sweet BAuers is ready. Stopping by this PM to try it out and if OK, we shall get about 7 dozen or so on Saturday for freezing.

I like the 9.5 rating. It is always good in my book.

Tried Cal's market in Blooming. A little tough on the ears. Good flavor, but a little tough. Might have been some 2 day mixed in there. Their corn hasn't been the same since they quit growing it and started buying it from wherever.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm going to experiment. I'll blanch some & cut off the cob, and I think I'll try just husking & freezing some too. Time will tell if that works!

According to 'Seal a meal', it's possible to vacuum-pack corn-on-the-cob if you first remove the husk and silk & wash well. Then blanch: small ears 6 to 8 minutes & large ears-9 to 11 minutes.

Thanks for the info. We have gone to our second planting, leaving 25 rows of just-slightly-too-ripe corn to play with.

That is a long time to blanch. When cutting it off the cob, we blanch for 2 minutes only. I would think they would be cooked throught in that amount of time. Never really tried freezing full cobs. Have enough sucess and great flavor cutting it off and freezing in pint or quart size bags.

Maxine was featured in our local paper in a "where are they now" section. Pretty interesting. smile
TALKED TO her on sat and she didnt say anything about the newspaper article. but i'm sure shes shy and bashful like me!!!!!!!! laughwhistlewhistlewhistle

What does this have to do with Sweet Corn. laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

No sweet corn for YOU BIG GUY..........

Also NO sweet corn today from Bauers in Champlin. Starting on Tuesday and running for 2 weeks. Picking up my corn for freezing on Saturday.

Fishinchicks grows organic corn, so, Glenn can add a little to the topic..Hers might even be the best, so don't knock it..It sounds like Glenn can have more then one subject on his mind, unlike others on here with one track minds!!!! laughlaugh

What does this have to do with Sweet Corn. laughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

No sweet corn for YOU BIG GUY..........

Also NO sweet corn today from Bauers in Champlin. Starting on Tuesday and running for 2 weeks. Picking up my corn for freezing on Saturday.

YOU'LL BE CORNIN and i'll be fishin!!!! yea!!!!!! smirksmirklaughcrazy