• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST SWEET CORN

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some corn from 66th and Lyndale and it is MMMMMMM Good. Excellent size and very good flavor. Very tender. They are open until 6:30 on weekdays and 6:00 on the weekends.

This is the best I have had so far.

Bauers have to be getting close to ready.

thats what they said, but i really dont believe it. just wanted your response. laughlaugh some are definitey better than others. had some last weekend was good. so gary how do we/you cook them when not canning. i like it best soaked in water for a few hours with husk on then thrown on da grill. mmmmmmmmm.

I just keep it simple, and boil it for 4 minutes, not to long and try not to leave it in the water to long afterwards. I do like it on the grill also, but that is extra work, unless I am cooking on the grill.

They really said that on the news last night.

Well, she thinks I am wierd, but does understand I guess. Just rolls her eyes sometimes. When we can corn, it is always and always has been a fight to get it done. I try to help after I husk all of the corn, usually a bushel bag full, but she has her way and I will throw her off by doing the blanching. I get way ahead of her. It usually takes us about 4 hours to do 25-30 bags or so. She will only help 1 time usually, so I make the most of it. I found doing some green beans helps my cause with her as we both like green beans.

I hit the Veggie stand on 46th and Minnehaha in MPLS "1 stop-light east of 46th and Hiawatha" and was pretty happy with Corn. I'm no Corn connoisseur but I'd rate it an 8 out of 10 "very good". Nice big fresh husk's and quite tasty. 7 bucks a dozen and I didn't try to haggle as I was in a hurry, maybe next time.

Supposedly for what it's worth the corn is from Waverly and it's picked fresh daily.

Can't wait for the Acorn Squash to come in also~!

If anyone is driving the hwy 23 detour north of Marshall, there is a new stand up selling organic sweet corn...ok, it's my house. gringrin

It is good corn, though. We had a party on Saturday night and roasted about 15 dozen in the husk, and everyone liked it.

OK just picked up a half dozen from 66th and Lyndale. I personally rated the Richfield Corn "peaches and cream" a tad better than my stand taste wise. Although a bit smaller in husk and Kernel size I thought it was a bit sweeter and the overall taste was more to my liking. A friend of mine and the neighbor liked our stand better for both taste, although close and volume wise.

On the way back I didn't see any of sacks sitting by the stand so I hope they have a fresh batch if and when you stop by!

I'm curious what the Pro has to say when comparing the 2 but I did like the nice tight sweet Kernels from Richfield, not sure if it was the increased water content of Waverly stand that made the kernels bigger or not but they are bit bigger and not as tight or uniform!

So I'm going in my non-professional opinion 8.5 out 10 for the Peaches and Cream! ... grin

Nice report PB and I will be picking some up from your stand tonite. I don't like the huge ears later on in the season as they can be tough. This time of year the bigger the better most times. I got 6 from the Richfield stand on Sunday and I always pick them myself. I tried to select the largest cobs, just to try and they were very good, no toughness at all. The flavor was still there also, so an FYI for ya. I will judge tonite and let you know.

Heck there is good fishing in SW Minnesota also. Good fishing and a few dozen ears from Fishingchicks.

Just might be worth the trip.

We are just north of the intersection of County Rd 9 and County Rd 22, directly south of Cottonwood. There is another stand that is south of us a couple miles, but they may be getting close to done.

If you do head out this way, let me know!