Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tweedlap

How to Camo a TAN layout blind?

13 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions on how to camo my TAN layout bling.

Is there a spray paint of some kind, that I could use, that won't hurt the canvas?

I have tried mudding it but that doesn't cut it.

Thanks for any ideas.

tweed

I've never heard of spray paint hurting canvas. Just get an outdoor kind, and go to town.

I have a tan layout blind as well and mudding it is good because it gets rid of the shine that's there even though can't totally see it. Grass it up using the same materials that are in the field you are hunting from.

What I also do is buy some of the grass they sell at Cabela's and grass the heck out of it. You can dye that stuff with RIT dye (go to WalMart or Target for green and brown). I grass it up with fake stuff and then enhance it once I get to where I'm hunting. A lot of guys think the tan ones are not as good but they are better in my opinion because they force you to do a good job concealing rather than just rely on the pattern that's on the blind.

mud the [PoorWordUsage] out of them and dont brush the mud off. some newer blinds dont hold the mud real good, a light misting of flat paint will help in knocking the shine down and hold the mud better.

Vacation144.jpg

i mud mine hard for early season, then again around mid october. we hunt a lot of chisel plowed and DMI ripped fields so black is what works for me.

Thanks for the input guys !

Carpshooter...that is some serious mudding. Looks good.

My plan is for a good mudding and then incorporate some corn husks for my green headed friends.

tweed

Thanks for the input guys !

Carpshooter...that is some serious mudding. Looks good.

My plan is for a good mudding and then incorporate some corn husks for my green headed friends.

tweed

a lot of guys will brush the mudd off to see a dulled down camo finish. i tend to just let the stubble do the work for me. after 2 or 3 hunts worth of stuffing stubble in and taking it back out, the camo is pretty visible. most of the time i hunt tilled fields though so we dont worry too much about stubble. just mud em up and dig em down.

Fred Zink suggested Krylon spray paint in dead grass/tan color saying that the dark color sticks out too much and doesn't match the surrounding area most of the time. Also noting the mud will stick to the painted surface better! He also suggested using zip ties and taking rafia grass and securing small 6-10 inch strips to the stubble straps to break up the outline and gives you a better 3-D effect. Works good to when the stubble falls off!

Hey Tweedlap,

The tan color is meant to be a backround behind your cover (it is easier to make a light blind dark than a dark blind light colored). Like others said, smear mud on a new blind, then add all the natural vegatation your straps will allow. You will have to change crops as you change fields (wheat, alphalfa, corn, etc.)

Walmart actually has few cans of good camo colors in their spray paint section. It really depends on what you're going to be hunting in consistently. Like one of the other posters I hunt mostly in plowed corn and soybeans so I want mine as dark as possible and then use some of the stubble left in the field to conceal even more.

Really depends on what you're going to be hunting in consistently.

Maxxed Out,

Is there a special paint for the canvas?

I hunt similar fields so I might go with a black and then mud it. What do you think?

Thanks for your input.

tweed

I don't know if there is a special paint for it, but the Camo colored stuff at Walmart does a great job, you just need a lot of it. If I were you I would mud first, let it dry and wait for the excess to fall off, then sray it, this should make it good and dark.

Here's a good tip to keep in mind once the snow starts flying. Buy as many cans as you can of the fake spray snow for christmas, does a great job of helping your layout blend into the snow when it is spotty early in the year. They freeze up quickly in the cold so it's best to use it for a minute put it in the truck to let it warm up and start with a new can.

Thanks ! Another great tip on the snow spary.

Greatly appeciated.

tweed