• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat cover question

AaronM

Question

I have a 1997 Lund Pro V and the original cover ripped in half while underway on a seam. Is there any way to repair this myself? Looking to save any way possible. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 answers to this question

If you are in the North Metro, try giving Lakes Area Canvas in Chisago City a call. They are great to work with, I would think it would be a cheap fix if it just needed to be stiched.

I had a local canvas shop in Woodruff Wisconsin re-sew all the top seams on the cover for my 22 foot pontoon boat last year. I had towed the boat up for a weeks vacation and one seam started to let go. They charged $70. That was for five seams across the top (each seam was 8.5 feet long), plus all the reinforced area near seats and helms.

So, long story short take it to a local canvas shop or boat cover place.

I had a seam let go two years ago and my wife and I sewed it up using dental floss and she's still holding today. I mention this in harder economic time, it's nice to save a buck or two!

Kind of something I was looking into. I have a replacement cover but I hate how long it takes to rig up alone. I may look into doing it myself, probably won't take it out on any long hauls but it'd be nice if it could handle a few mile drives. Any tips?

I went to JoAnn Fabrics when my cover tore at the corner. I got a canvas patch - similar to what you used to put on the knees of your jeans. The ladies there were very helpful and helped me find a thick thread, used for sewing canvas. I bought two heavy needles, went home, and sewed everything together. It held very well.

For about $10 of expense it was worth it.

Check out Canvas Craft Inc. in Ramsey or Roger. Click here:Canvas Crafts Inc.

They have fixed ripped seams and holes (all together) in my fish house before and it was only around $15.00. It took about 3 days.

Short of that, 20lb mono or 50lb braid and a sewing needle has fixed many tears and failed seams around my house.

Good luck!