Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

If i had 200 to spend......

11 posts in this topic

I'm a shimano guy, but ended up with a revo winch for cranking this year because shimano does not have a slow speed left handed Curado E. I really like the winch so far... As far as a cranking rod goes, I don't think it is necessary to spend big bucks. Bass pro's crankin sticks get the job done and are cheap.

I went with the pflueger trion 46( round style) for my cranking reel. I don't remember if it is a 5.3 or a 5.4 to 1 ratio. For a rod i teamed it up with a BP crankin stick, but many rods will do.

Hmm, $200 would be tough. Avid crankin rod and revo winch. OK, thats like $325, sue me!

St. Croix mojo MH crankin rod is a lot of rod for decent price. Reels, Id hit the web or look around for a discontinued shimano citica or curado 5.1 reel.

St. Croix mojo MH crankin rod is a lot of rod for decent price. Reels, Id hit the web or look around for a discontinued shimano citica or curado 5.1 reel.

I agree with this. Either get a Mojo with a Citica for a little over 200, or a BPS Crankin' Stick with a Curado which would also be a little over 200. If you want to spend a little less you could get the Citica and Crankin' Stick for right around 200. Like others have said, it's not neccessary to spend a bunch on the rod, put more money toward the reel.

I have a Citica 201E on a 7'0" Shimano Compre Crankbait Rod. It cost me around $230 and it fishes crankbaits "awesomely". The soft rod absorbs A LOT of the vibration transmitted from the crankbaits. But it's still sensitive enough to feel the strike while you're cranking it. And it's strong enough to bring in them hawggs. Biggest one I ever brought in on this set-up was 4.5 pounds. Just might wanna slow down the retrieve on those deep divers.