• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying first boat for Musky/walleye need advice

Hey everyone, I am looking at buying my first boat, I mainly fish musky/walleye and am looking at a few different models. I am looking used but want to make sure I make a good decision. This will also be used for family as well, any advice would be much appreciated. laugh

find a good glass boat

for that kinda money if you look hard you should be albe to find a skeeter or warrior

I have a yar craft you dont see many for sale theres a reason for that

but check walleye central i've seen fair deals there

I've owned both and have fished out of both for years. My opinion would be to shop for the best glass boat you can buy. I'm particularly fond of Rangers. Yeah, they're expensive, but like most boats, they have lost lots of value too. It's a buyers market right now. I recently had to sacrifice a 2002 Ranger fully loaded for $19.5K. You should be able to find one a little older for your 15K. Or like someone else said, there's other good glass boats too.

i am a ranger guy myself, on my third one, started off with a 1979 that my dad split the cost on, then got a 1990 tiller,now have a 681vs.have 2 kids that like to fish and the wife the tiller gave lots a room for them to do there own thing if they got tired,if you dont need the speed any glass tiller would be good.

For $15k you should be able to find a late 90's Ranger 692 well equipped. That would be my #1 pick without question for your use/descriptions.

I believe the 619 is a little newer but the same basic boat, very useful for everything you describe.

I'm in the EXACT same boat (pun intended) as you. I've been keeping my eye out all summer and have it pretty well narrowed down to a Ranger Reatta, Lund Fisherman, or Crestliner sportfish.

The "family" part of your equation really limits your choices. For my family it means Full Windshield, jump seats in back, sun top, and possibly seating in the bow. Most of these options usually eat up rod storage space.

If you don't need the extra seating your options open up a lot, you can basically buy any boat with a full windshield (if you're sticking with the family deal).

For 15k you'll be hard pressed to find a ranger, at least one from this decade. The lowest priced Reatta I've seen all summer was 26k (an '04 I think). Even 10 year old 617s can have asking prices of 20k.

As far as this being a buyers market, it probably is but I've been really suprised at how many people out there have 15k+ to spend right now. It's not uncommon for them to disapear off craigs list in less than a day.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with and hopefully I don't have to bid against you on a boat this weekend. wink

Personally, I would look into a newer aluminum boat (Alumacraft/Crestliner/Lund) before a older Glass boat. You will probally get more for your money, expecially in that price range.

Also look at the lakes you will be fishing, and how good the access are. It can be very hard to load a big heavy boat on a dry low year.

Being more specific - remember to think about what you do while you're fishing. For example, the gunwale to deck transition on some boats makes it difficult to get close enough to the water to make a comfortable figure 8.

Personally, I would look into a newer aluminum boat (Alumacraft/Crestliner/Lund) before a older Glass boat. You will probally get more for your money, expecially in that price range.

Also look at the lakes you will be fishing, and how good the access are. It can be very hard to load a big heavy boat on a dry low year.

Having gone through this decision this spring, I respectfully disagree. I'd much rather have a little bit older glass boat, especially something like the ranger 6 series, there just really isn't a comparison IMO. My boat is in MINT condition, show room new in almost all aspects, I don't think it was ANY kind of a compromise to get an older boat. Many people can't believe it's 13 years old.

In regards to loading, i've had no problem on WBL, owasso, st. croix and many other low water launches, it's easier to load and unload than my 16 foot aluminum crestliner I had last year, takes the same amount of water, which is only about 14 inches to float. I don't even have the shallow water launch kit for the trailer either. Little bit of silicone spray on the carpet and you can crank it up with the bunks almost totally out of the water if needed and it's not that much work. wink

I spent a year looking for a boat that I wanted. It had to have exactly what I really wanted (plenty of storage for rods and gear, dual livewells, and a casting deck). I searched around for used and new, and in my case, brand new was the cheaper way to go. Check with dealers, they are putting in trolling motors, batteries, covers, and GPS/Sonar for a lot cheaper than if you purchased them separately. I think that you should have a list of what you absolutely want in the boat, and make your decision from there. If your spending 15k, this boat is going to be with you for awhile, so you want to sacrifice as little as possible. I ended up getting an Alumacraft Dominator and it works perfect for my wife and little one and I fish mainly for bass and Muskie.

hmmmm silicone spray makes it that easy to crank ??

how big is your boat??

i'll admit i think bout what landing i'm going if i'm by myself

but i have 21 ft yar craft

but when the gf is with we go where ever she's a good mate

crankin is near impossialbe

they should build a trailer with rollers that rise and lower

wouldnt be to hard i dont think

glass vs tin i dont think you are going to spend that much more for a glass boat i believe glass boats are wayyyy more duralbe

i had my last boat for just short of 20yrs it was a 17ft glass

boat and i know the first 3-4 yrs i had that boat had it been tin

it would have probably busted in half wouldnt been albe to handle the big water the way that boat did i was fishing tourament just bout every week end on mille lacs it only had a 60 hp motor on it but i could blow by tin boats with 125-135 on them and i was dry

if someone tells you...to worry watch out for rocks i'd say glass will take any rock a tin boat will plus in 20 yrs on the water i never ran over any rocks...lol

I am not saying that I wouldnt like a ranger againg. And last year On a a lot of lakes in Ottertail county you would have troubles loading a bigger fiberglass boat.

I was on West Battle Last year and I watched a few guys sure struggle on loading a 07 619. And I was able to load my 19 ft boat just fine.Sure made me happy having aluminum one that day.

And it was the same way on Ottertail, Dead, and Rush.

Electronics and trolling motors are worth a lot of money. If it doesn't have good accessories that work and are rigged right it will cost you some serious cash or time to fix and upgrade. Keep that in mind when pricing rigs. I got a good deal on a 2000 Lund 2025 and have been happy with it and I mainly fish for bass. Have had to get the trolling motor fixed, rig my own electronics, deal with some live well issues, fix a wheel cylinder on the surge brakes, replace tires and just replaced the bunks. I've owned it for almost 2 years. Stuff adds up quick even if you work on it yourself. Used rigs are just that and stuff will break just be aware of the odd ball stuff. I would love to only have a single axle trailer. Two less tires, seals and bearings to pack. It's a heavy set up that takes a lot to pull it. Bigger motors go faster but in the process use more fuel. Glass boats need a bit more up keep and more care when beaching them but tend to ride better.

Good luck with it.

Here is a very nice Ranger that you may be interested in. A good friend of mine went to go look at it, and said it was in very good condition. It was just out of his price range however and ended up going with another boat. I've dealt with this dealer on my last two boats, and he is top notch. Not one complaint.

http://www.alsspecialtymarine.com/pre_ow...amp;veh=1325894

I am not saying that I wouldnt like a ranger againg. And last year On a a lot of lakes in Ottertail county you would have troubles loading a bigger fiberglass boat.

I was on West Battle Last year and I watched a few guys sure struggle on loading a 07 619. And I was able to load my 19 ft boat just fine.Sure made me happy having aluminum one that day.

And it was the same way on Ottertail, Dead, and Rush.

I just don't see how the type of boat has an effect on how it loads...wouldn't the trailer have more effect, rollers vs bunks? I have a friend with a full windshield 19ft aluminum and it's way heavier than my ranger...tell those guys to spray silicone on the bunks with the 619, just don't do the strapless launch like you're use to doing!

Gregg52, my boat is a ranger 690, 19 feet and loaded with gear, 175hp on the back. The silicone works great, just don't think you can unhook your tow strap and back down the launch like usual!!!!

Years back I found a good deal right here on FM. I ended up buying a Lund Mr Pike 17 with a 115 Yamah 4 stroke. The boat was 2 years old and looked like it just came off the showroom floor.

I was definitly looking for a single consol rig for muskie fishing mainly. The boat suits my needs fairley well. I like casting platforms, don't like the large gunwales with enclosed rod storage only 7' max. But the boat was rigged with the right trolling motor some entry level electronics, batteries, extra seat, Cover and a 2400# shorelander trailer.

I kept my eye on it for around a month before I could convince the wife that it was a good deal cry I would look at the some of the more open layouts if I could do it again. But I have not had any issues with my Yamaha and it trolls down to 1.8-2.1 mph for trolling early season walleye cranks.

I would be careful with any motor. Have the compression checked and really be carefull with your decision.

There are lots of nice rigs not getting used right now. Be patient and this is the time to buy. The number of buyers going into September will drop off.

Good Luck

Steve

JRedig, Thanks for the hot tip on the silcone spray. With all the low water problems, I'm suprised I haven't heard of this tip more often. Do you reapply silicone every time you launch/load your boat?

I just don't see how the type of boat has an effect on how it loads...wouldn't the trailer have more effect, rollers vs bunks? I have a friend with a full windshield 19ft aluminum and it's way heavier than my ranger...tell those guys to spray silicone on the bunks with the 619, just don't do the strapless launch like you're use to doing!

Gregg52, my boat is a ranger 690, 19 feet and loaded with gear, 175hp on the back. The silicone works great, just don't think you can unhook your tow strap and back down the launch like usual!!!!

I think that the weight was the problem and heavier boat needs more water to sit in. Yaw back the truck up more but how far do u want to go? I’m no mechanic but I do fish with one every now and then and getting water in your exhaust is not good for it or the motor. That ranger had his back tiers practically under water. But that’s also the lowest I have every seen the lake to.

Thanks for the tip on the silcone spray ill make sure I give it a try. Do you spray it every time you go out then?

Coming from someone that always had owned Lunds.., I bought a Ranger 1860VS Angler and I LOVE THAT BOAT.

Went glass.., will NEVER go back!!!!!!!

And the casting deck, rod-lockers (8-ft center of the boat).., interior room in the cockpit, low to the water.., the ride.., the dryness.

Go glass!