• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cheap baitcast combo with clicker?

bgreen82

we brought out a friend of mine for the first time, and now he wants to pick up a cheaper baitcast cat combo for between $50-75. what do you guys think. i already told him he wasnt gonna get top of the line. he really liked my 8 ft. glowstick/6500c3 combo.

No need to get a glowstick...that will take up twice his budget. There are lots of cheap, but great rods that are in the $10-15 range.

He could get the Abu Garcia 6600BCX model that has a decent gear ratio and three ball bearings and the same line capacity as other more expensive Abu Garcia's. It's going for $45 on Catfish Connection. You could have him team that to a good $15 fiberglass Catfish series rod (Wild Cat, Big Game, Creekside, Alpha, etc) and he would have a great rig for $60. Then just needs some braided line and he is set.

Used Garcia 6500C3 off of popular auction site???

I have (3) 6500C3s and I'm not sure I paid more than $100 for all 3. Got 2 from Reed's on a 1/2 price deal at the Ice Fishing Show and picked up one used from a buddy for cash.

Might have to look around a bit, there are deals out there from time to time if you keep your eye open.

^ Assuming you only have one eye...I kid I kid.

Is your friend stuck on a baitcaster for Cattin'? There are some great and affordable spinning reels out there with clicker features as well. I like my Okuma ABF-50 just as much as my 6600C4...I just wish the clicker was louder.

I just picked up a cheap ulgy stick for a back up rod. I do not like how sensitive and flexible the rod is though. but it was cheap and its covered for 7 years if a fish breaks it. Any cheap real will work. Since I do a lot of shore fishing I just get cheap reels. That sand gets everywhere no matter how hard you try to keep things sand free!

I used to have that problem but am much more careful now with my stuff. I bought a rod holder that keeps my rod and reel plenty high off the sand and I NEVER set me reel down on the ground. I have not had any problems with sand this year and I make sure to rinse my chair bottoms off and my rod holder in the river.

What kind of Ugly Stick? My Ugly Stick Catfish series is a great rod and I feel plenty comfortable with it and feel it is plenty sturdy.

to keep sand out of your reels carry a carpet sample with. It does help especially if you get a rain shower come threw. I have used this for a long time when I fish from shore.

I had a 6600BCX, used it 3 times and the thumb bar started sticking and then the level wind started sticking on the left side. I did a little searching around and found out others had the same problem. I took it back and got a 6500c3 and am very happy with it. (pays not to be cheap)

(pays not to be cheap)

I wish I would have listened to my friends when I was getting into this. Been down that road with cheap walmart baitcaster reels and had the same issues.

I will second Hanson's comment on the auction HSOforum...I did that to aquire a used 6500c3 and its the best performing reel out of all of my arsonel.

I think it even works better than my brand new 6500.

On a side note...I did buy a King Kat II spinning reel from the bargain cave for $8 to burn up the remainder of a gift card. I use it for tightlining cats and also have no complains with that either. So maybe it pays to be cheap only with your spinning reel wink

Hiya -

For you Abu Garcia guys - do a search on Fisherman's Factory Outlet. It's Pure Fishing's overstock e-commerce site. You can sometimes find reconditions reels there for 50% off the retail price. What they have changes all the time so it's something you just have to check out every now and then.

tested and true ugly stick works for me. I use a M/H Bait casting ugly stick and have never had a single problem. The Cat in my avatar went about 47 pounds by Darrens Cat chart and was caught on my ugly stick. Never once heard a noise to make me worry of cracking. Side note that cat was stuck in the wood and took a bit of convincing by the pole.

Ugly Stick Catfish is going to be nowhere near my first choice for a flathead cat rod. Too soft. Not enough backbone. I've lost a couple big fish in my earlier days on an Ugly Cat and have since retired it to channel cat duty only now. Ugly Stick Tiger rods are a much better choice.

My Berkley Reflexes are better rods but I'm getting to the point now where they are staying at home. Not "heavy" enough either.

I'm serious when I say I've seen what a big fish will do to my equipment over and over, and when I think I'm using stout enough gear, I learn I'm not.

What kind of Ugly Stick? My Ugly Stick Catfish series is a great rod and I feel plenty comfortable with it and feel it is plenty sturdy.

Same rod as you have. I normally use my muskie rod that is good, hardy, and stiff. The ugly stick is to soft. Pretty much I prefer not having my rod move unless I have a fish biting it. With the ugly stick I can feel way to much and my bait will actually move the tip constantly. That can be a down fault at night.

As for rod holders I made a couple out of some PVC pipe and they slide right into shore really easy! It just seems not matter what i get sand someplace. Pockets. Backpack, no matter how hard you try you are still getting sand somewhere

Ugly Stick Catfish is going to be nowhere near my first choice for a flathead cat rod. Too soft. Not enough backbone. I've lost a couple big fish in my earlier days on an Ugly Cat and have since retired it to channel cat duty only now. Ugly Stick Tiger rods are a much better choice.

My Berkley Reflexes are better rods but I'm getting to the point now where they are staying at home. Not "heavy" enough either.

I'm serious when I say I've seen what a big fish will do to my equipment over and over, and when I think I'm using stout enough gear, I learn I'm not.

I agree with you on the ugly stick. My muskie set up which gets converted to a river rod 98% of the time is a Berkley rod and I really like it. Not as stiff as I want it, but way better than the ugly stick.

I had a feeling you would pop in here with some remark...lol.

We gotta get out sometime before the river dries up ha. I will be busy this weekend but next week and next weekend I would be down for some Kitty chasing. I have a couple ideas as far as where to find the bigguns and when.

I prefer a softer tip. The Ugly Stik is a lot stiffer than my other fiberglass rods but I guess I just prefer a rod that's no really stiff.

I prefer a softer rod tip as well but it is very hard to find a rod with a decent tip AND backbone. When a fish can bend the rod blank over into the handle section, you've got a problem. The rod is no longer doing work for you.