Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Weed Shark

Sponsor's Son Mauled by Pit Bull

126 posts in this topic

there is a post about this in one of the forums that is called "went fishing last night :("....I read it in the paper but already knew what happened from this sight......sad.....very sad that they still let people have those breeds of dog without a permit or something!!!

Quote:

“She kept talking about her American Staffordshire terriers and how wonderful they were,” Lynn remembers. “No matter how much I tried to change the subject, she kept bringing it back to how wonderful her American Staffordshire terriers were. She told me they would never hurt my children. Right then I thought I had better keep my kids away from those dogs.”

American Staffordshire terrier is a name many use interchangeably with pit bull. Many consider both as the same breed, while some say the two are close cousins.

Zak’s parents do not care what the dogs are called. They say they are dangerous and should not be allowed in the city.

“I’d like to ask her how wonderful she thinks her dogs are now,” Lynn says.

That says it all to me. I just don't like those dogs as I said in another thread. All the owners always say "not my dog", "the owners are bad", "the ones I know whouldn't hurt anyone". I just don't trust them and never will.

I'm very sorry to hear about his poor six year old. I hope he heals up fast.

More people get attacked by huskies and dalmations than APBTs, they hardly ever make the news.. ANY dog is capable of attacking people, yes even labs and golden retrievers. Dogs are just plain dangerous, like any large animal, and no one should ever forget that.

I'm sorry to hear about this and wish the kid an easy recovery.

OK, how come we don't see them in the paper at least once a week? I'll give you dalmations, my brother had one and had to put it down. But they don't maul and latch on like a pit bull either.

So we're comparing Dalmatian attacks to that of a PitBull...HMMM!

Do you have any links to any Viscous Dalmatian attacks?

Pierbridge, dalmations are just downright mean! They're really territorial and will chew on anyone that gets in their space. But no, they don't usually cause the damage a pit bull does. They just bite, they don't really attack

Pit bulls are the most worthless dog on earth. I used to live next to one that was chained up and that thing would go nuts when another dog came by. If it ever broke that chain I would hate to be that other dog. I own a lab and kept a loaded gun in the closet near the front door and would not have hesistated to use it if that thing got within one foot of my dog.

That is just awful. I sure wish the poor boy a speedy recovery, mentally and physically.

As much as I love dogs, I feel there is no place for dogs of this breed. Yes, other dogs may attack people, but history shows that the pit bull is notorious for it. I would rather come face to face with a timber wolf. A wild animal usually has a good reason to attack. A pit bull doesn't need one. They are just plain ornery and murderous.

More people get attacked by huskies and dalmations than APBTs, they hardly ever make the news.. ANY dog is capable of attacking people.........

That might(?) be true, but..... Pitbull type dogs are responsible for 33% of dog bite fatalities.

I highly doubt that they account for anywhere near 33% of dogs in the pet population, making it obvious that they truly are a PROBLEM.

I've never worried about my beagles attacking anybody, but if I had a pitbull or a rot it would certainly be a huge concern.

Thank God that little boy will live a normal life, to many kids have been attacked and killed by these dogs.

Here is some literature http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html#Thedogsmostlikelytobite

Excellent link, B-man. That should help avoid any more silly arguments. grin That's all the proof anyone should need.

Well, I hope the neighbor enjoys the last few days with her precious dog, because I am sure it will be gone one way or another.

Big time lawsuit coming, I hope.

DD

...I highly doubt that they account for anywhere near 33% of dogs in the pet population...

I had a recent conversation with a friend visiting from San Diego. He has lived there for 7 years, and has lived "right around the corner" from a dog park. He states that 90% of the dogs he sees are Pit Bulls. I wouldn't be so quick to say that they do not make up 33% of the canine population. They may not make up a high percentage in MN, but our total human population doesn't make up a high percentage either.

I have a scar from a Golden Retriever bite from when I was young. Yet, I own two dogs, including one that is a Pit Bull/ Rottweiler mix. I have neighbors, UPS guys, mailpeople, and solicitors often walk into my invisible fenced yard with the dogs out and so far through 6 years no problems. It seems most who have a fear of Pit Bulls have never been around many. I really am curious how much experience around Pit Bulls and other dogs some of you Pit Bull haters have, but don't think this is really the best time to get into that.

This is the last I will post on this thread talking about dogs. Best wishes to the child and family. May they have a speedy recover.

I don't know how many are aware of this, but pitbulls are actually banned from New York City. The demon dogs are not allowed inside city limits, for good reason.

Best wishes to the family and to the boy on a speedy recovery...

I think that should all the this thread should be and not darning the dog...just my .02 out of respect of the families involved

Prayers go out the family and hope he heals well!! Scary stuff.

I absolutely hate Pitbulls...I have a 9 and 11 year old who are outside all the time and I can tell you that if a family with a pitbull moved on to our block or across the street, my house would be for sale later that day. I would NEVER feel safe with them outside.

The Knutson's are such great people it's so sad this happened. My thoughts and prayers go to them as they work to get through this.

The problem stems from the fact that they are popular dogs, so you get a bunch of m o r o ns breeding them thinking that they're going to make a quick buck. When you hit that point, all sense of good breeding goes out the window. If you breed a high-strung, aggressive dog, chances are the offspring will exhibit those traits, as well. Couple that with owners that don't bother proper training and socialization, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Pit bulls aren't bad dogs. I've met several through obedience training that are absolute sweethearts, but you just never know when you're going to run across a bad one. And they are relentless dogs.

It's a cycle. Doberman Pinschers and rottweilers went through the same thing. Once the breed loses some of it's "cool factor" responsible breeders will bring the breed back to what it should be.

Oh, and I feel terrible for the family. That's something you never want to see happen.

Well said Ralph. It's a very popular breed and hopefully time will heal the reputation it has. It does seem to be a cycle that is happening. For evidence of these cycles I think mainstream rap is a good place to begin. Let me preface by saying I'm not a fan of Rap but am using it as a reference) Look back to old music video's by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg...back then the Pinschers and Rott's were hip and dare I say "gangsta'"? Now you've got all these guys like 50cent, T.I. etc. showing up in videos with pit bull's as well as NFL stars who like to breed/fight em'. mad I hate to say it but a lot of people look at these people as idols (pathetic, I know) but that's where society is at these days and it'll be some time before the cycle changes. I'm not saying that this is acceptable or right. But what I am saying is you can look at these cultural cues like the fascination people have with garbage Rap and Football players and see the trend in why this breed has become so popular.

With that being said, I feel awful for the family and my thoughts and prayers go out to them. No kid should ever be exposed to that kind of tragedy.

My sympathies go out to this little fella and his family. I was bitten severely at age 11.

I agree Jim. Just like when 101 Dalmations makes its remergane every few years, you get folks buying them up and not studying the breed.

I agree Jim. Just like when 101 Dalmations makes its remergane every few years, you get folks buying them up and not studying the breed.

Interesting thought Sandmannd. I didn't think about that but your absolutely right. How about the influx of Rat Dogs (Chihuahuas) after Taco Bell started that whole ad campaign...or Paris Hilton using a Chihuahua as an accessory to her wardrobe? crazy