• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Parting out a sled

Gus

If the parts are in good shape you can make some money on it. If the engine is running you can usually make more parting it out then selling it whole. This is a bad time of year to part them out and as stated above you are dealing with a pretty old sled. check interest on some of the snowmobile websites before you tear it apart. If you have enough people who want parts start tearing it apart and shipping them out

Thanks for all the comments guys.

It's a tough call since there are a few parts, mainly the newer track, which could probably get some decent $$, if not as much as selling the sled whole. Overall the sled is pretty beat. It does run, but not well. It is fuel injected, which for the year is more of a hindrance to selling than a positive even though I've never had a lick of trouble with it in 12+ years of ownership. It's only stopped running well since I have quit riding it the last 3 years.

It's funny how I don't have the will to get it running right but I have the curiosity to just tear the whole thing apart.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've tore down two sleds (smashed) and rebuilt them. If you can take a weekend to dedicate to the job, it's pretty simple wrenching. I would wrap a piece of tape around each part and label it so you know which side it came from. You can put them on C-list or HSO-Classifieds - I have a couple of friends that do it for a living and make some decent cash but like the guys previously said the demand might be low. Another great place to sell is Haydays the first part of September - track, suspension, tunnel/bulkhead, hood, and engine will sell down there plus all the little parts. Depending on the condition, you can probably get between $400 and $800.

You will probably get good money for the parts on the online auction site that has an E and a Bay in the name, especially if you wait until fall. My brother-in-law buys non-running sleds just to part them out and he makes some decent money doing it.

I completely parted out an 89 Indy 500 Classic about 4 years ago. Sold everything on a very popular auction site. Lot of work! Lot of work! You have to clean and photograph everything, write an item description, figure out an auction strategy (starting price, Buy it Now, reserve, etc), have shipping weights (or approx costs) for everything because bidders ask, shipping boxes for everything, etc. I made some pretty good money on it as well at the time, easily double what the sled was worth selling in running condition.

I did have a very new track on it, recovered seat, solid hood, good skis, running motor, etc. I was surprised by what some of the items sold for. Lot of larger items were picked up locally but I did have to ship an engine, lot of fun bringing that into the UPS terminal.