• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slip Bobbering Question

TMBeard

Excuse my ignorance as I am a musky guy that likes to pickup a few walleyes for the pan from time to time.

My question is, should I be using a egg type sinker when fishing lakes like Vermilion? I learned a valuable lesson a few years ago when I tried to use a lindy type weight and lost 3 rigs in the rocks. The other option I thought of was using a Lindy no snag weight. I have young kids so I would prefer the visual effect of the bobber.(I will admit, I also find it benefical) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

For slip bobber fishing you usually want the bait to be near the bottom, but not to touch bottom, especially in rock infested areas that love to eat tackle. With a medium size slip bobber, 2-3 #7 split shot 1 foot above the hook/jig are just about right, as long as you're not using huge minnows. You want the bobber to ride low in the water so it doesn't have too much resistance when the fish bites, but not so low that it goes under every time a wave hits it. It gets tricky when the fish are on a fairly steep break, where your bobber could drift into shallower water and hit bottom/snag up. Try to start by setting your bobber about 1 foot higher than where you marked the fish, and try adjusting from there.

If you're lindy rigging over or around rocks, you might try a 3 way rig with an egg sinker on the dropper line, or a bottom bouncer to minimize snags.

Excuse my ignorance as I am a musky guy that likes to pickup a few walleyes for the pan from time to time.

My question is, should I be using a egg type sinker when fishing lakes like Vermilion? I learned a valuable lesson a few years ago when I tried to use a lindy type weight and lost 3 rigs in the rocks. The other option I thought of was using a Lindy no snag weight. I have young kids so I would prefer the visual effect of the bobber.(I will admit, I also find it benefical) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are slip bobbering they nailed it on the head, no need for an egg sinker. If you are riggin in a rocky area I would use an egg sinker held in place by a split shot, I know I try to use that method when riggin on the river due to snags, much more affordable.

All,

Thank-you for the help/information. The wife and I will be up on Vermilion Aug 15-23 for our annual trip. Looking forward to trying these suggestions out. Perhaps if Im lucky, a couple in the pan for a Friday night fish fry.

Just a personal note but i have switched to using small rubber core sinkers on my slip bobber rigs the split shot seems to tighten on the line and weaken it. I use a swivel underneath my bobber adn can tell that when I have had break offs the split shot had weakend the line and that is where it broke off. I went to a seminar by Greg Bohn a year back and he uses soley rubber cores.