• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1989 Force 85HP TuneUP

mlvaj

I have a 1989 Force Motor that needs a tuneup. I just recently got the boat, but it hasn't been used for 4 or 5 years. Just wondering if there's a decent shop around here that I can take it in to that is reasonably good service. I'm planning on taking it in to Supreme Marine in North Mpls since that is the only place I can find that services Force engines. Otherwise, what can I do to tune it up myself, since I know nothing about motors. I try running it this weekend with the hose but the engine doesn't want to turn over. I'll let you expert let in on it since I'm no expert otherwise, I'm taking it in today to the shop. Hopefully, I don't lose any where close to a thousand bucks to have it fix since it's an older boat/engine.

Good motors, bag ignition system wink

I check the battery first. See if you have 12+ volts coming from the posts with a volt meter (set it at 20v or under). Next check grounds at motor. Third check connections and for voltage at the ign. switch. If no power is found check positive feed to ign. switch for damage or corrosion. If power is found to be going to the ign. switch (key), check for power running to the solenoid on the left side of the motor (sitting in drivers seat). It should be a small brown little round deal with large red cable connected to it. With the key in the crank position, see if you get 12v on the volt meter or a light on to come on a test light. When all else fails, try raping the starter with a hammer.

Is the motor cranking over but not firing, or will not doing anything when the key is turned?

The batteries are brand new. I just got them last week. I don't have a volt meter but I do have a test light. The motor is cranking but it won't turn over. Again, it's been a while since the motor has been ran(4-5yrs). I think it just needs to be flushed and tuned up. Another question, how do I change the oil and fill up the oil??? I try looking for an oil dispenser but couldn't find it. Does the motor uses mixture of oil/gas and what ratio if it does?

Quote:
The motor is cranking but it won't turn over.

Turning over technically means cranking. You mean the engine will not fire after cranking it over? Correct?

First thing I would do is check to see if your test light will light up (when the ign. key is turned on) at the ign. term on the back of the ign switch in the dash. This should be a blue wire and marked on the ign. switch houseing. If that lights up, the next thing is to take the cover off the motor (leaving key on) and check with test light at the wire block on the side of the motor (left) at the one marked ign. (again should be a blue wire). At this point if the test light lights up, you will have to test for voltage. If you are not getting 11.0 volts or more back to the CDI box, the CDI box will not produce any spark. If this is the case, you need to check for voltage back at the ign. switch to eliminate the area of wire causing the voltage drop (the power feed to the ig, switch or the ign. feed wire from the ign. switch back to the motor). If you have over 11 volts tested back at the engine block, most likely it is a CDI box. If this is the case (and just for piece of mind) I would only go with a CDI box (power pack) from CDI Electronics. This might be your only option anyways but they last forever and come with a 2 year warranty. If you find a refurb factory unit, they come with no warranty for a reason wink .

Also check any safety or cut off switches, like tether cord or possibly something in the throttle. Also never hurts to check fuses also.

A tune up (plug change) never hurts. If the plugs are fowled, they will not allow the motor to fire also. Yes a mix of oil and gas is needed (unless oil injected, but I do not think that was an option). I run about 40:1, but I think 50:1 is ok also.

Good luck!

Do you know if the motor was winterized prior to be putting away?

If not, after sitting 4-5 years it's highly likely the carbs are gummed up and need to be taken apart and cleaned. It's not a difficult job if you're mechanically inclined, but you need to take your time when you do it.

All Force motors were pre-mix only, and yours is 50:1 (1 Pint of Oil for 6 Gallons of gas). What gas are you running in it now? What was in the tank?

marine_man

Quote:
If not, after sitting 4-5 years it's highly likely the carbs are gummed up and need to be taken apart and cleaned. It's not a difficult job if you're mechanically inclined, but you need to take your time when you do it.

Ya I should have said check if you have spark first grin

Also have you primed the squeeze ball, like MM said what about the fuel? New/old?

All the fluids (gas/oil) are the old one. I don't even know how to drain them. That's the thing, I'm not mechanically gifted so I wouldn't even know what the carb is. I'm the one that is spending money to get it fix first then figure out later.

All I can say then is call around and ask who works on Force. You are not go to find many that will or do. I would suggest Twin City Outboard in Shakopee. Good luck!

I suspect you'll find that most dealers will work on them... it's worth a call, but in general most dealers will work on them.

marine_man

It must just be when I mention Chrysler then grin

Maybe the economy has changed things, but back in the summer of 95-96 when I first got my boat, I had a hard time finding anyone who knew anything about Chrysler's (Force and Chrysler are almost the same motor), let alone would work on them. I got the "you need a special tester for that ign. system, we do not have it and no one here works on them. Best bet to call Twin City Outboard" grin

At that point I just learned and researched how to do everything on this motor myself. TCO has been invaluable when it comes to parts, help and service. Today they are pretty much the only place I have found in the metro, who has parts still on hand that I need.

Well, the only place I found near me was Supreme Marine. I took it in last night but will have to wait 3-4 days for them to call me with what's wrong. It's just a waiting game now I guess. I'll just have to order a Force motor repair book so I can get use to fixing things myself. If anything else comes up, I'll make sure I post it on here. Thanks guys.

I had a hard time finding anyone who knew anything about Chrysler's (Force and Chrysler are almost the same motor), let alone would work on them.

Depending on how old of a force, I would believe that. The newer ones (a relative term) had more mercury parts in them, and were a little easier to deal with... but, no reason not try Twin Cities Outboard either...

marine_man

why do you guys give chryslers bad reps?? i love my 25 hp it trolls like a champ, starts on the first pull with no choke in the early morning and is easy on the gas..most dealerships will work on them but getting the parts is the fun part!

Well, got a call from the shop. They need to replace the water pump and clean the carb, which they did. But they also told me that the tilt/trim pump system?? will need to be fix too but at a spendy price. Could I get away with not fixing the pump system until next year? I don't want to spend $1100 to fix the system with only a couple of months left to fish, plus the motor itself is worth about $2500. What can you tell me about the pump system and if it's doable. All the tech said was that it's leaking fluid in the tilt trim and that I could still use it but would have to fill the fluid from time to time. Please let me know if I'm better off fixing it now or later.

I would have him show you how to fill it and run it like that for a while. {like forever}. you may not like the motor or want something that could troll better. if it's not reliable you dont want to put that kind of money in to the T/T. Good luck RR

The tech told me that the seal to the tilt/trim is broken and he also said that if I'm going to change that, he wants me to change the whold pump system. I'd figure I'm better off just getting a whole new trim motor for a lesser price at which I can install myself.