• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new tool for hunting in MN

Scoot

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I believe MNTRAX has all of the WMAs and WPAs in it. You can be driving along and notice a WMA a few miles away and let your GPS lead you right to it.

You can get it upgraded with all the changes for only 20 bucks whenever you'd like.

Northern, I'm pretty sure it will. That model isn't too old and it basically works with anything that's not very old. Again, to be sure contact the guy who makes it through his HSOforum. He's a nice guy and he'll take care of you.

Northern Outdoors, I believe I spoke to you in email but it can load to a Rino 120 but the 120 does not accept a memory card and only has 8MB of memory. The Minneosta map takes roughly 30MB and you can load up any layer you wish such as Land, Lakes, Roads, etc but 8 MB isn't going to be enough.

Pulleye, Scoot has nothing to gain as he is simply a good devoted customer as many of my customers are. If you are referring to elevation topography, the answer is no. I have it but as I spoke with the majority of outdoorsman and showed them the product and also showed samples when it included elevation topography, most didn't like the idea of topo lines getting in the way of the lands, roads, trails and everything else they wanted to see. I am not counting it out for a future release but for now it shows the land types, borders, section lines, township-range-section numbers and a whole lot more.

I am the owner of Kirsch's Outdoor Products and the creator of NDTRAX, MNTRAX, MTTRAX, and WYTRAX, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Scoot and others thanks for answering so many questions in my absence.

Just givin scoot a hard time...sounds like a good product. Let me know if you ever get elevation topography, would love it as I try to mark ridges, scrapes, trails ect. on my gps and love having the refrence of topography to place stands. Thanks for the info!

The way im reading the info from the HSOforum, is that it doesnt not contain tax-forfeited lands, such as the case in Crow Wing, Aitkin counties for example. Great tool most likely but for my case, the old reliable paper plat book still is a better tool.

BucksnDucks, you are correct it doesn't include this yet, but for the MN2010, a highly requested feature so if it is available in GIS format, I will include it. Also, the PLAT book is great and MNTRAX will provide you the information of township, range and section number to coorelate with the PLAT book.

The most difficult thing with any paper map is to know your precise location in relation to the map, where boundaries are, etc.

BucksnDucks and all, I did find a source for the tax forfeit land in Minnesota. The newest available is from Nov 2008, but hopefully this stays static long enough to help.

I am putting out a new update during the next few weeks for MNTRAX. The version number will be 2.4. You can watch the HSOforum for Kirsch's Outdoor Products under News for when it releases. For existing customers, they can send me their MNTRAX 2009 version for Free updating until MNTRAX 2010 comes out, and for new customers, they will get the newer version automatically.

This update will include:

1) Increase of road data by approx. 30% (especially forest)

2) Addition of walking hunting trails

3) Addition of tax - forfeit land

4) Additional state managed land

I could have waited until MNTRAX 2010 but wanted to make sure all of you had the latest and greatest in the field.

kirsch, will the chip fit into my Lowrance XOG?? I notice your HSOforum doesn't give the option of selecting an SD card, so I 'assume' that it defaults to the SD card format??!

Also, are ALL Minnesota Waterfowl Production Areas on the chip?? One of my disapointments with the 2008 Lakemaster chip has been the fact that it has Wildlife Management Areas on it but not WPA's.

BlackJack,

Yes MNTRAX works in virtually every Lowrance accept for the new Endura series which no one has maps that work with it yet. MNTRAX does have WPAs and much more. I have included some of the many features of MNTRAX below. I also offer a money-back guarantee if you are not satified. Just one note, on the XOG, Lowrance messed up on the National Forest as they don't cut out the private land inside the forest areas, so turn off your national forest category and just use the forests as part of MNTRAX.

Features Include:

Lake Outlines including Depth Contours: 1100+

Boat Ramps

Scientific and Natural Areas (SNA)

Wildlife Management Areas (WMA)

National Wildlife Refuges (NWR)

Bureau of Land Management (BLM)

Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA)

State Management Program

Tax Forfeit Land

Hunting trails

State Parks

State Forests

National Forests

Big Game Units

Hiking Trails

Cities

US & State Highways

County & City Roads

Forest Roads

PLSS Sections

Township, Range, & Section #

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Yes, my product actually comes as microSD card with SD adapter for Garmin and Lowrance. Different Garmin GPS units use different card sizes but all Lowrance with the exception of the Endura uses SD/MMC. Have a great hunting season.

Kirsch, I ordered it Friday, looking forward to the maps of the WPA's, looking to do a lot of late season pheasant hunting.

Kind of curious to see how the different map card works with my saved waypoints. Should be fine since they go off of latitude and longitude, and the cards are write protected, so the info has to be in the GPS.

Also kind of curious to see if the lake map detail contours are any different...

Thanks!

If you order from the Outdoor Store, this is a direct shipment by Kirsch's Outdoor Products so you will get the latest version which includes the tax forfeit lands. Tax forfeit was going to be a feature add for MNTRAX 2010 but since this was a highly requested feature, I added it to MNTRAX 2009 and also re-did the road database, added additional hunting trails and more.

The release date for MNTRAX 2010 will probably be March timeframe so I would recommend buying MNTRAX 2009 now to catch a good part of the hunting season.

Updates are planned for $20 and can be done each year or whenever you wish. There is no requirement but it is highly recommended.

I purchased mine about a month ago and have been playing around with it for the last few weeks. I have not seen anything indicating that there is tax forefited land markings anywhere. Also I know of a few larger state forests that I hunt near Hillman that are not on the maps, this was the main reason I purchased the card.. All in all it looks like it should work good, I love that it has the land plus the lakes..

Realtor Boy,

As mentioned in my thread on 11/16, if someone ordered after that date, they would get the tax forfeit land, so your product did not have tax forfeit land, but I do update for free.

I spent a ton of time adding tax forfeit land per the request of many on FishingMinnesota. Now, I may have to pull it or look at it all over. The issue is this is mostly all county land and some counties do a good job and some may never update the GIS files for the DNR. I put out the update, and received an email the next day that a person went to a county tax forfeit land (and it was tax forfeit at one time) and there was a million dollar new construction home sitting there. They sent me the GPS coordinate and I verified via satellite data, they are right. It is hard to hunt in someone's back yard. I have received some additional feedback since then as well. So, I have a delimna as there is not any type of state mandate that the counties have to keep this data up to date (at least not all in one place or in any type of GIS format). I am looking for sportsman feedback, so would really appreciate your feedback as well as other's if I should pull it all or put a massive disclaimer on it saying sorry it could be out of date as I have no control over what the counties do and don't do. All data is subject to change but tax forfeit seems very much this way.

I am going back to the data one last time to see if there is anyway for me to cross-reference this or keep it more isolated to forest land which has a lesser chance of being sold back to the public.

I will also check on that forest area for you. I have added some additional forst areas as well. Also, checking if it was county or state forest land as I do have some county forest areas, I may add.