• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new tool for hunting in MN

Scoot

Just wanted to let you guys know I tried out a new product this weekend called MNTRAX. I had heard how great it was in ND (NDTRAX), so thought I would give the Minnesota version a try. It is advertised as being an all-around sportsman GPS map for Garmin and Lowrance. I bought it primarily for two reasons: to find any and all public land that I could hunt in MN and because the topo info I had for White Earth Lake (where my mo-in-law has a little cabin) was not too great. ... and I just got a new Garmin so thought I would try it out.

The WMAs and WPAs were spot on and looked good as well as other public lands. I had no idea I went past so much public land on the way to the lake. Unfortunately I didn't end up bringing the boat, so I couldn't check out the topo info for the lake. Assuming the lake contours are as good as the land/hunting info, this is going to be sweet!

Just thought I'd give you hunters a heads up- this little tool will make finding land and the boundaries between private and public land in MN really easy!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Jameson, the 72 is old school!!! Time to upgrade!

DonBo- yes, it has both lake topo and all public lands. It also has highways and county roads, hiking trails, boat ramps, parks, and a bunch of other things. I talked with the guy who sells it and he also said that I could get (at no extra cost) PLSS (PLAT) information if I wanted it. I'm not sure I would need that level of detail, but I'm sure some guys would love it.

MNTRAX is something new. It is differant from lm but does have 1100+ lakemaps on it.

Th MNTRAX has topo available on a ton of lakes, but that's not why I posted it here-- I posted it because it's got all of the public lands marked in the state. I posted it here (hunting forum) because I think it'll be a great deal for anyone who wants to hunt on public land and know that they are on public land. Like I said in my original post- there's a ton of land I can hunt between my place and my mo-in-law's place in MN that I didn't even know was public land. Also, when I'm out chasing grouse I'll know where the state land ends and where the private land begins, so I can stay off private property. I think it'll be a great little tool for hunters.

My LakeMaster chip gives me all the public hunting land in MN. I've been using it for that purpose for the last two years. Could it be the older versions of the LakeMaster chip don't do that?

My LakeMaster chip gives me all the public hunting land in MN.

That's not true.

I hadn't heard about LakeMaster having any hunting data so I contacted them and they indicated there is a limited amount of land information including WMA and some forest information shown on only the Minnesota chip and not sure of what year or version of the chip you would need. From what they indicated it doesn't sound nearly as in-depth or include all of the information MNTRAX does.

I do get some public land on my lakemaster chip, but I know not all the WMAS aren't on there.

I'll have to check this out cause I use my GPS primarily for hunting so this would be a great investment for me.

b-b, nothing wrong with an excuse to buy a new toy, right? wink

However, I'm pretty sure it will work with your I-finder. I've got a buddy who has (I think) the same gps as you and he had the same experience- he didn't think it worked. However, he updated his firmware and it worked fine for him. Also, make sure your map setting is for Lowrance, not Navionics (might want to try this first).

If these things don't work, outdoorprostore- customer service has been excellent for me and I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

An example of this happened last week- I broke the little MNTRAX micro SD card in half while trying to put it in the case. This was due to me not paying attention and stupidly trying to force the case shut (D-U-M). They replaced the broken chip with no questions asked.

Point is, they'll take care of you if you can't make it work in your unit.

FYI- I've taken this little gem with me from Fargo to the Twin Cities, Fargo to White Earth Lake, and Fargo to LOW. So far, I have yet to find a place where the public/private land boundaries didn't match up really nicely. I got both the MNTRAX chip and the NDTRAX chip. I'm headed to Western ND in a week or so and I'm looking forward to using it there.

So which GPS model would you recommend for this card? I have an old GPS (no card slots, blk & wht, etc) and was thinking of upgrading this fall. This chip sounds like it would be great and fit my all needs. Is there a Make/Model that would be recommended or most commonly used? I would want a hand held unit for fishing and hunting. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

So which GPS model would you recommend for this card? I have an old GPS (no card slots, blk & wht, etc) and was thinking of upgrading this fall. This chip sounds like it would be great and fit my all needs. Is there a Make/Model that would be recommended or most commonly used? I would want a hand held unit for fishing and hunting. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

gurkster, no right or wrong answer to this. I just upgraded my gps and I got a Garmin 60CSX. The Oregon looks pretty cool, but it's pricey and I got a good buy on the 60CSX. However, any newer gps that takes SD or micro SD cards should work with this product (as I understand it).

I finally had a chance to give this MNTRAX chip on my Lowrance Expedition C. It is a sweet little tool, when you are looking for public lands in areas that you aren't that familiar with. I am located in east-central Minnesota and my hunting takes my all over the state, but I think I am especially going to enjoy it during pheasant season.

Thanks for the tip Scoot.

Does the chip outline county land too? I hunt areas where state and federal forests border county land. Our hunting party has always wondered where these lines are. This definately sounds like a must have. If it had the land topo'd like the lakes it would be the ultimate.