Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wooduck26

Am I crazy? I think not....you tell me!

13 posts in this topic

We hit some proven Channel Cat water saturday night. We had about 6-8 fish in the boat between the two of us, with each catching almost an equal amount of fish. Just after sunset the mosquitos came out in hoards, I put on some 3M Ultrathon.....on my arms, neck, etc. I also did this.......sprayed it on my hands, and dabbed it on my face.......From that point on, I was outfished 9:1 (a guess) Could the bug spray on my hands make that much difference? I told my buddy that stuff is probebly still on my hands (even after having them in the water, etc.) The overall total was 31 Cats in the boat,all released. I bet I only caught 6-7...I wasnt even getting bites...NOTHING!

Thoughts?

I shy away from bug spray whenever possible. I’m sort of lucky in that the bugs don’t really bother me, so it makes it a bit easier. But I do see some validity in what you friends said.

I’d recommend buying a Thermacell and ditch the spray if you can.

I’d recommend buying a Thermacell and ditch the spray if you can.

He has his Thermacell, I forgot mine...

Id go with the thermacell as well. Works great when there isn't much of a breeze. If you were really curious about the bug spray theory you could have put your bait where he was getting bites the whole time. See what bait would get the bite.

If you were really curious about the bug spray theory you could have put your bait where he was getting bites the whole time. See what bait would get the bite.

I pretty much did....and NO BITES!

could always wear gloves while spraying the bug spray on.

I take it with but dont like to use I also have a therma-cell

I dont like spraying the bug spray all over I noticed one time that the spray had gotten on one of my cat rods and it spotted up on the blank by the handle dont know if it damaged it but ita precaution now so I ussally go to the front of the boat and spray if at all. oh yea and that spray is he!! on electronics

I never use it, for all the reasons said above. Thermacell!

I noticed it the other night when I took Bumpkin74 out. We had seven people and seven lines. All of us had sprayed and we had one run, and that run came from my buddy before he sprayed. I am going out tonight and I will do my usual and try and go without spaying and knowing my buddies they will spray and give it a trial run.

Good point, Kevin and others. I never would've thought of that.

This may sound gross, but bugs do not bother me unless i smell like soap or some other "good" smelling stuff, I do not shower or put on deodorent if I am going fishing so I do not have to use spary and the bugs leave me alone. the down side, is that my wife leaves me alone as well, but I guess maybe that is an upside as well. smile

I always worry that being a smoker will affect my fishing as well as using bug spray. I try not to use bug spray at all unless it's really bad, but cigarettes I smoke each time I go out. My girlfriend doesn't smoke and I usually catch more fish so it's probably not affecting anything but you never know.

the down side, is that my wife leaves me alone as well, but I guess maybe that is an upside as well. smile

gringringrin