• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spoiled spawn question?

meatfish

been fishing a different part of the lake and fishing has been good,a mixed bag but about 1/2 of the fish have bloated bellies,I opened up a sunny and the spawn is still there but is brownish black,row sack is gone and tainting the meat.so I tried a small mouth(same)large mouth(same)I have never seen this before.This area is close to where there was some weed spray done,but also close to where the weigh ins are for the bass tournaments.All I can guess is.

1)Herbicide?

2)up and down temps?

3)fish pulled off beds during tournaments and stressed out with no time to find a mate and make another bed.

4)parasite or disease?

my guess is # 3 and if that is so, tournaments take out a lot more fish than what I see floating after the release.I am fishing again in the morning for a little more research but going to release all but one to bring to the dnr.unless some one here has a reason why this would happen.thanks in advance for any insight.

crappieking.I can understand the sunnies still having eggs with the odd cool temps,I saw spawning sunnies a week ago.I have never seen the spoiled eggs though.I suppose if the temps are not right, lack of mature males,among other reasons for them not to drop their eggs,maybe it is normal.

been fishing a different part of the lake and fishing has been good,a mixed bag but about 1/2 of the fish have bloated bellies,I opened up a sunny and the spawn is still there but is brownish black,row sack is gone and tainting the meat.so I tried a small mouth(same)large mouth(same)I have never seen this before.This area is close to where there was some weed spray done,but also close to where the weigh ins are for the bass tournaments.All I can guess is.

1)Herbicide?

2)up and down temps?

3)fish pulled off beds during tournaments and stressed out with no time to find a mate and make another bed.

4)parasite or disease?

my guess is # 3 and if that is so, tournaments take out a lot more fish than what I see floating after the release.I am fishing again in the morning for a little more research but going to release all but one to bring to the dnr.unless some one here has a reason why this would happen.thanks in advance for any insight.

If it is just the tournament causing the issues then wouldn't the issue be localized only in the bass population? Was the tournament a large mouth tournament, small mouth tournament, or a combo? There could be numerous factors for what you are seeing so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet.

Ask the DNR about it and see what they say first.

From my experience earlier this year a way to avoid keeping the female bluegills is to not take the ones that don't have a bright orange belly. I have been wondering when you keep fish should you keep some females if you want some to eat? I know you should not keep the larger males.