Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrailerTrash

Charging a 36 v system

17 posts in this topic

I'm sure that this has been covered, but I really did do a search and could not find the answer.

I purchased a used MotorGuide 36V bowmount trolling motor. What is the best way to charge the batts? Assume I am using a 12v battery charger.

Do I disconnect them and charge one at a time? Do I leave them connected and charge them one at a time? Or do I connect the charger to the end leads going to the trolling motor?

Again, I am sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it.

By the way, I am so far happy with the MotorGuide. I have heard some negative comments on the unit, but it seems to work as advertised. It is awesome to set the depth and have the boat follow a break like it is on a set of rails.

JB

3 bank on board chargers the easiest and best way to charge them.

I agree, an automatic on-board charger with a bank for every battery you have in your boat is the best way to go. Just plug it in and forget about it until the next time you go out, then unplug it. Batteries are maintained at full charge and it extends their life.

Thanks, but please read that I said to "assume that I am using a 12v charger". What is the best way?

JB

If you're going the manual 12 volt route, the charging depends on how your batteries are connected / wired in your boat. If the series connections (+ to -) are made at the batteries you can put the charger on 1 battery and it will slowly charge all 3 of them, but a weak battery in the system will bring down the others. If the series connections are made in the trolling motor receptacle then you would need to charge each battery ---- and if you disconnect all the wiring you will need to charge each battery.

Thanks, PJ. That is what I needed to know. I wasn't sure if they would all charge if hooked to only one batt. I disconnected them and am charging one at at time now, and will be looking for an on board unit as the funds become available. Seems the wife always puts my priorities down the list from such dumb things as food and paint for the living room...

Anyone know of a good source for a 3 bank unit? I would be open to a good buy on a used one.

JB

If you want a new charger I can help with that --- we also have some deals on reconditioned Dual Pro chargers too. I think Dual Pro is great, that's what I have in my boat. Use the ProFishingSupply link in my signature if you want to check them out.

PJ:

Give me a call. 218 326 1932. Ask for JB

PerchJerker, if the batteries are connected in series (+ to -) you are only charging the one battery you have the 12v charger connected to. The other 2 wouldn't charge at all.

When the connection is paralel (+ to +, - to -) then you could charge all 3 batteries by hooking a 12v charger to 1 battery. It would just take 3 times as long as 1.

Thanks, PJ. That is what I needed to know. I wasn't sure if they would all charge if hooked to only one batt. I disconnected them and am charging one at at time now, and will be looking for an on board unit as the funds become available. Seems the wife always puts my priorities down the list from such dumb things as food and paint for the living room...

Anyone know of a good source for a 3 bank unit? I would be open to a good buy on a used one.

JB

Oh, yes ProFishingSupply is the place to go. I'll stand behind that. The only place I go electronics for my boat. Really its the truth. Next is my trolling motor, I keep saying that but like you other things seems to pop up and get in the way.

This spring I picked up a 3 bank Dual Pro and man what an investment. On boards have a differant system for charging than the portables. You get a fuller and deeper charge that actualy extends the life of a battery. And its so easy just plug it in ad the only thing you have to remember is to unplug it when you head to the lake.

PerchJerker, if the batteries are connected in series (+ to -) you are only charging the one battery you have the 12v charger connected to. The other 2 wouldn't charge at all.

When the connection is paralel (+ to +, - to -) then you could charge all 3 batteries by hooking a 12v charger to 1 battery. It would just take 3 times as long as 1.

Excellent point, the answer I typed wasn't correct. The way I typed my answer you could charge 1 battery at a time, not all 3 batteries.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Yesterday I called PerchJerker and ordered an on board charger. What a nice guy! He was so friendly when he took my credit card info! Seriously David was great to deal with. I'm sure that I will be happy with the ease of the unit vs. charging each batt individually.

Esox: Get your handle from Esox Landing by chance?

JB

Thanks JB, I appreciate your order and hope you'll be happy with your charger!

I recieved my 4 bank charger from PerchJerker today. I hooked it up, mounted it in about 15 minutes and plugged it in. Working well. Looking good. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks again, PJ. If you ever need a good deal on a piece of fine jewelry, let me know. I appreciate the fast service and great price.

Going out to try my luck again tonight on Pokegema . A man with half a brain would have given up by now...

JB

Sounds great Jim. I'll try to stop in your shop sometime when I'm in the area. I mentioned it to my folks (they're retired and have a place near Grand Rapids) and they know your store too.