Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckwagon

REC kayak?

4 posts in this topic

I am looking for some input on what boat to buy! I am looking for a rec style boat so I can paddle rivers and small streams with some rapids, but still have some storage for day trips and light overnights. I am 5'7 and wiegh 250 so I need a boat that will hold some decent weight. Any input would be helpful. thanks!

We've got a couple of Dirigo 106's, which has easily-accessible dry storage, and can handle some small rapids. However, you might want to look at the Dirigo 140 for a larger cockpit and more storage capability.

Lots of other kayaks out there, as I'm sure you're finding out already!

I paddle around in a Dirigo 120, a 12' kayak. No complaints as it performs nicely on slower moving rivers & lakes. They generally post the weight load in the specs.; but like previously stated, there are lots of products out there.

Especially now...end of season clearance sales are just around the corner. Good luck with it.

There's a lot of used boats out there too. If you want to do rivers, you'll want a shorter boat (I would look for something no longer than ten feet, maybe 11). Shorter boats mean easier turns. For fishing I use a Necky Manitou Sport. It's just shy of 11 feet, has a dry storage space in the back, and a nice sized cockpit for my bad knees.